Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It is time for a radio like the IC-900 or the IC-9  (Read 354 times)
KB7GJY

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2004, 07:47:46 PM »

I wish the radio manufactures would bring back that type of radio. Ad on the bands you want. Add in the current radio abilities and allow for more HF bands, higher power, Cross band, dual watch, and if feasibly an antenna tuner with the ability to tune a screwdriver antenna (which is something that surprises me that isn't already included as standard or optional for HF mobile radios).

I always liked the idea of having added on modules, that way if you loose let’s say your 20 meter module, you disconnect it and send it off for repairs and the rest of the radio remains. Now granted if the control head goes bad you loose it all, but still better then the all in one box idea.

The control head should be user configurable. Colors, screen layout, brightness, etc. Not a set of 4 or 5 color settings, but simulare to computer operating systems; background, foreground, text, meters, etc.
Myself I am a big Icom fan, but Kenwood did something I wished Icom would have done, the TNC with GPS interface included. This is another thing that should be included.

Further, I think the HF bands should be at least 100 watts and VHF at 75 watts, and UHF 45 watts.

The basic radio should include; 2 meters, 220 MHz, 440 MHz. I know some would like 1200 MHz which could be, again an add on module would be an idea.

For the digital people whom; A. likes to control their rigs via computer. B. Use Digital modes. C. All the above and then some. Include a USB or firewire port that allows complete control via the computer including sending and receiving audio from the computer.

Finally, a real DSP. I have mostly owned Icom equipment, and I think it is time for a rig like the one I listed above to be made.

Your idea's?

73's

Allen ----------- KB7GJY

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 08:54:09 PM »

Not that any of your ideas are bad, but I think it's all a matter of marketing and the ability to interest the largest number of customers. Modular construction is more expensive because of the additional mechanical considerations (enclosures, plugs, etc). Adding things like an internal TNC appeals to some but it raises the cost of the radio for everyone and many (probably the majority) are not interested in using a TNC. That means that you will sell less of the more expensive "TNC included" models. The more radios of a particular model that you can sell, the less expensive each one becomes. Technology only counts when it can either sell more radios or make them less expensive to build.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: