Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: opinion question about the sidekick vs lil tarheel  (Read 425 times)
N3OW

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2004, 08:29:49 AM »

I know that this will open up a mess but I am looking for information before I spend $300+ on a mobile ant.
What I would like is to here from folks who are using the Sidekick and the LIL_TARHEEL antenna.
I just installed a Diamond K400 on the back door of my Jeep Liberty with a Ham Stick for 20 meters. This is a temp set up as I hit every tree in the area of my home.
Please tell me about your dealings with warranty repair and the such.
Thank you
Jay
N3OW
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:10:27 AM »

Well, if you're hitting trees now, add a foot or two and you'll really be in trouble. A couple of things you might consider.

First, the higher you mount the antenna the better the performance all else being equal. While I easily get by with an antenna whose tip is 16 feet up, you apparently can not. DX Engineering (http://www.dxengineering.com)  makes tophats for Hustlers and most screwdriver antennas. Properly installed, the antenna will perform as well as one with a whip twice as long. Put another way, you trade length for additional windloading and complexity.

Lastly, you could mount the antenna lower and lose some efficiency. If you do, the most important item to remember is to keep the antenna as far away from metal as you can, especially the coil. This is nearly impossible on some screwdrivers as their masts are rather short. You might think about mounting it on the front of the vehicle instead of the rear.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 09:21:48 AM »

I've used a Sidekick since last August and have been very pleased with it in all respects. I have it mounted on the back of a Nissan Xterra with a Diamond K-400 3/8C - no problem at freeway speeds. When properly installed AND GROUNDED, it should produce a virtually flat SWR from 80-6 meters. I'm feeding it with an Icom IC706MKIIG and the new I-box controller. The antenna is built like a tank and High Sierra customer service is excellent. Never had a Tarheel, but all reports on e-ham seem to be very favorable. I have heard that High Sierra is the original and the Tarheel is a direct knock-off. I also considered the Tarheel, but decided on the Sidekick. Hope this helps.
73, Bob K7JQ
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 02:07:50 PM »

I have a Little Tarheel and now use it on my VW New Beetle.  The antenna is very well built, and works well.

Phil - AD5X
WC4X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 02:49:29 PM »

I have been using the sidekick for 7 months now and love it.  It replaced a Yaesu ATAS 100 and the difference in performance is substantial.  Mine is trunk lip mounted with a K 400 mount and no problems.  As the manual says, grounding is everything with respect to getting this antenna to perform up to its potential.

Warranty service from Jim Heath at High Sierra has been outstanding.
K6IPF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 01:15:54 PM »

K7JQ-- who makes the I-box controller u use?? And a model# if there is one.....Tell us more....Tnx Pete/k6ipf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: