Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VX-5R w/Coiled Cord External Mic  (Read 580 times)
KE5BTA

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2004, 06:04:55 PM »

I've got a VX-5R and the little hand held mic to go with it.  I recently installed a little Panavise mount in my Tahoe (dude, that company is fargin sweet!) so I can slap that baby on there.  Perfect for the 2m/70cm mobile operations that I do.

My question is, the little external mic that you can buy to go with that thing (MH-34B4B) will turn off the on-board speaker when it is plugged in.  This means, that the only sounds eminated will originate from that mic/speaker combo.  That speaker in there is REALLY horrible (I was really not expecting much) and what I would ideally like to do is have it NOT disable the onboard speaker.  I.e., I hear sound from both speakers on RX, not just the one.

Is there a mod or a function anyone knows about that will allow this to happen?  I spose I'm probably going to need to get the MH-37A4B to better RX people with, but I'm wondering how I can better the speaker for long car rides with the family, etc.

Any ideas would be mucho helpful!

Brando (KE5CLP)
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 10:22:18 PM »

I don't mean to be rude, but why do you have two calls?

There is not much you can do about the speaker mic. However, if my memory is correct, you can still use an external speaker. This should be well covered in the manual.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE5BTA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 10:42:50 PM »

2 Calls... funny story.

I upgraded to General in August and in my ignorance, I thought I was going to get a new call.  Well, I didn't and applied for a systematic one.  Same 2x3.  I made Extra a little over 2 weeks ago and applied for a Vanity.  I'm just waiting on my vanity to come through before I sync up my calls.  KE5BTA is my username, KE5CLP is my current systematic call. Smiley

On the manual, I could not find anything there to help me with this.  Surprisingly, that was the first place I looked!  RTFM is something I usually tell others, so I am pretty good about not violating it myself.

I'd appreciate any help by anyone out there on this.  Thanks!
KD5JFT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 03:53:31 AM »

When I had a similiar setup, I used a MFJ mic that had a spot to plug in an external speaker to the mic.  It was on the bottom of the mic next to where the cord was attached.  I used this setup (different mics, same speaker) with an Alinco DJ-5V, Yaesu VX-5R, and VX-1R.  Had a bunch of wires with the mic, power cable, speaker, antenna cable to outside antenna, ect.  Boss won't let me install a ham radio in work vehicle, but will let me carry personal ht's.

KE5BTA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 09:04:47 AM »

Ahh!  This mic has a little jack down in the bottom of it that could handle an external speaker.  I'm just trying to keep the clutter down.  Since there is a decent on-board speaker on the VX-5R itself, I would hope that it could be enabled... Tongue

I've also contacted Yaesu and am waiting for their response.
KD5JFT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 10:32:04 PM »

I found that on all HT's (except for a few commercial offerings and the Alinco DJ-5V, the internal speaker was not up to battling with all of the noise I experience in a mobile environment (the speaker/mic was not up to it either).  Your situation may be different though.  That's why I began using an external speaker.  I occasionally get all of the wires a bit tangled up.  Takes a bit of practice to handle it.  I just wish my employer would let me install a ham radio in my work car.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 07:09:15 AM »

My solution was to get the Yaesu Earpiece/Mike unit.  It has a single earpiece with a small mike and PTT switch on the cord.  Works great in a high noise environment like a vehicle.

Dennis / KG4RUL
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 12:32:51 PM »

I think you are going to have to build something, may be like.....

If you feel the radio has enough audio output for your vehicle and the situation, just get a little decent external speaker.

If not, get an amplified speaker.

Take either apart, and make a cable (Huh?MODIFY???) to go from the radio to the speaker, and then put whatever jack(s) on the speaker box are necessary to fit the mike plug(s)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2004, 04:35:39 PM »

The major problem with the 5R is that the Mike/Earphone jack is 4 conductor (tip and 3 rings).  When you plug it in, you disable the internal speaker and internal mike.  So, to use your external speaker, you would also need an external mike, with-or-without a PTT switch (the radio PTT still works).  If you are in a high noise situation, an earphone/boom mikeset of some sort could be your best option.

Dennis / KG4RUL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: