Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memory Bank usage philosophy  (Read 366 times)
N0XJO

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2004, 08:44:25 PM »

Now that some radios are having many memories, like the FT-7800 with 1000, what are people doing to manage these?  Has anyone found a good way to manage and naming convention?

Like 2meter on 1 bank, 440 on another, public servie on another?  Or favorites on all bands in bank 1?

Just curious how others are manageing all their memories.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 08:57:08 PM »

I wish the mfgs would provide a computer interface that would let you read, manage, and load all of the memory information (including the name) from a PC program. Loading even 100 memories from the keypad on the front of the rig is a real pain in the neck. Lord help you if all you need to do is swap a couple of memory positions around!

It would be so much simpler if you could set up the complete memory from a user friendly PC program and then load it into the radio.
N2MPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 10:40:46 PM »

> I wish the mfgs would provide a computer interface [...]

my new Icom V8000 mobile has this feature, as do many/all of the newer 2M and dual/tri band mobiles.  

on the other hand, what the mfgs charge for the programming software and cable is crazy.  it's no wonder there are schematics for the latter all over the net.

jim / n2mpt
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 04:13:53 PM »

The IC706MkIIg and PRO won't let you program the memory name via the CI-V interface.
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 02:34:53 PM »

My Kenwood TS-B2000 and TM-D700 has free software that lets you manage the radio memory and menues, my TH-F6 juste requires a interface and the again the software is free

Lew
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 12:31:23 PM »

My older FM mobile ham rigs which don't enable naming a channel memory cluster the most-used frequencies together and consecutively.  These include our primary Skywarn repeater, the Operations and Logistics repeaters designated for ARES and RACES, National Simplex and the local simplex assigned to my working sector.  Remaining memories not often used are programmed in frequency order.

In newer rigs which enable channel naming the most used repeaters and simplex frequencies are in the main bank, in approximate priority of use order, with appropriate tags.  Simplex frequencies are tagged with the frequency, i.e. 146*520S, repeaters are tagged by location, and a numeric identifier to  remind me of the frequency if there is more than one repeater from the same city, for example:  
ARL*15R
ARL*47R
BLMT*300R
FX*79R
TYSNC*91R

In rigs which enable naming memory banks, I tag them by the Interstate highway or compass direction of travel from home, and group the repeaters within each.  

NOVA*495
MDC*495
SO*I95
NO*I95
EST*I64
WST*I66
WST*US50
SO*I81

Others may have wrinkles of their own, but this works for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: