Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT857D+ATAS120 = successful mobile station !  (Read 464 times)
G7NZH

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2004, 09:43:31 AM »

After having had my FT857 for a few weeks I decided to purchase the ATAS120 antenna.
Well after fitting it to my vehicle (Skoda Octavia 2003 model - basically a Passat B5 shape car) using a Diamond K600 mount everything went well. The antenna tuned up on all bands as described first time. I started off with 10 watts, then rose the power gradually over the space of an hour or so. So VWs seem to be able to cope with 100w on HF.
Best DX was K2FE from New York with me only running 25w to the ATAS120 on 20m.

My QTH is approx 30 miles East North East of London, so I'm pretty happy with this outcome. It also looks good for inter Europe working.

Andy G7NZH/M /P and mostly using <25w
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 06:45:44 AM »

I'm not fond of the ATAS as it is a compromise among compromises. Nonetheless, you should take a few pictures, and do an article and publish it here on eham.net. You might be surprised at the number of folks who might be looking at the same combination.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 11:08:57 AM »

It demonstates that you can work dx with a pretty low ERP. I've worked Virginia to Siberia with 3/4 watt ERP.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 11:30:49 AM »

You are correct, Bob. Some years back, Yardly Beers (I don't remember his call and he's an SK), of Boulder, CO mounted a 100 watt bulb atop a 40 foot telephone pole driven with 5 watts through 100 feet of RG58. It took him three years to earn a WAS and a DXCC. The fete was written up in QST. Like you said, when conditions are good ERP is almost irrelevant.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: