Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise in Chrysler Cirrus  (Read 361 times)
KD6RRR

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2004, 10:29:35 PM »

Hello!
I do apologize if this issue, or something similar, has already been addressed.

I have a 1997 Chrysler Cirrus. Up until today, I would use 2 meter handhelds either rubber duck, or with a mag mount. I also would carry a handheld scanner sometimes, as well as a Motorola HT1000 programmed for local ham repeaters. I finally managed to have the time and all the parts, tools, etc. to install a Yaesu FT-2600M in the car. I have installed radios in all types of vehicles, both professionally and for fun, and felt I did a smashing job on this install. The closest type vehicle to mine I have ever installed radios into was a 1997 Dodge Intrepid.

That said, here is the problem...

Every one of the above mentioned radios, including the new Yaesu, AND sometimes even including the stock AM/FM cassette in the dash, picks up this HORRIBLE LOUD high pitched screech/whine. I know it is not "traditional" alternator whine, because, unfortunatly, I am experiencing that as well on my receive audio. (The alternator whine should be fixed as soon as I jack up the car, pull off the tire, and connect the power to the battery itself, instead of the power poles under the hood.) This loud sound will occur on random frequencies. It might show up on the local fire dept channel one day (154.070), then appear on a ham freq the next (146.610), then infect the local RR channel the next (161.010). This noise only happens when the engine is running. Sometimes it will not be heard at all for the entire day, sometimes the act of turning off the radio then back on will eliminate it either temporarily or for the rest of the time the engine is on. Sometimes it will only be on one frequency, other times every single channel in memory will be stuck with it. Sometimes it will show up on every radio in the car (HT1000, handheld scanner, 2 meter HT [all of which are simply IN the car, not in any way connected to it] and the Yaesu), other times it is only on one. The sound has one odd behavior in that when first starting the car, the "key in ignition" bong bong sound can actually be heard through the noise coming over the affected radios' speaker. When the noise occurs on one of the portable radios, it can be eliminated temporarily by grabbing the upper part of the radios antenna; doing the same to the lower half of the antenna has no effect. Also the noise can often be eliminated from the handhelds by placing the radio in the back seat.

All of this in mind, the best I can figure is there is something in the dash (computer, etc.) or under the hood that is causing this. The car was bought used, and, while doing the Yaesu install, I discovered the remains of an after market alarm system, as well as an after market CD Changer. The only part found remaining from the former alarm system is the red LED and about two inches of the wire that supplied power to it. The CD Changer is a different story. I found coiled up under the dash the control head for the changer, which still had power applied to it, and which displays the word ERROR on its screen, no doubt due to the fact that the rest of its componants are missing. I have not yet traced it to see where it leads, or what else might be remaining of it, but I am guessing that it was the RF type, where it plays the CD audio over the FM band on the stereo. I also have yet to find if the RF unit is still in place spliced into the stereo antenna connection. The presence of the noise occasionally on the stereo may point to this CD Changers remains as the culprit.

Any suggestions? I will try to figure out a way to record the sound the noise makes and post it for all to hear...

Thank you for time and wisdom!

Erik
KD6RRR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 12:42:54 AM »

Well, isn't it amazing how if you sit down and write out a narrative of an issue, your brain will suddenly jostle itself awake and fire off a few synapses to actually produce a coherent rational thought. Sure enough I seem to have solved my own problem... All this time I felt somewhat saddened about how I got an ecxcellent deal on this car, and it just happened to be BAD for radios...

Stuffed up under the dash I found the entire CD Changer assembly= The control head, the FIFTEEN FOOT LONG (when uncoiled) wiring harness for, get this, both the power and antenna connections for the RF sending unit (which was indeed still spliced into the stereo antenna) as well as the data cable which normally would have ran to the rear of the car to the actual changer, plus the solution to the not as of yet mentioned secondary issue of why my right side stereo speakers kept going out (the control head cable was ran up against the speaker wiring harness where it fed into the back of the stereo, and every time a bump in the road came along, the dangling control head would pull on the cable which in turn pulled the right side speaker harness out of its plug)...

Well score one for rational thought, and please let me know if there is a website for TERRIBLE VEHICLE ELECTRONIC INSTALLATION JOBS, so I can add this little pathetic example to the list...

Upon surgical removal of all the remnants of the old CD changer, and rewiring the stereo harness back to original condition, the noise is completely gone. Plus, now that it has FINALLY stopped raining, I can pull the car out, remove the front driver side tire, and dig out the battery and make the proper battery connections and can the alternator hum...

Thanks for reading my adventures!

73 Erik KD6RRR
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 05:49:10 AM »

Isn't it nice that Chrysler put that battery in the wheel well? Actually, you can use the connections on the left inner fender panel for your connections as Chrysler suggests in their two way radio installation guide. Which incidentally is available from your local dealer (they can down load it).

The screeching noise could have been caused by the fan belt, but most cars are now equipped with serpentine belts which do not appear to have this malady. Easily cured by the way with a little graphite.

Congrats on fixing the problem. You're on your way, but when you switch to HF you're in for some additional surprises.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: