Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160m-10m Screwdriver antenna specs  (Read 510 times)
N1KK

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2003, 04:42:03 PM »

Would anyone have the coils specs for a
160m - 10m Screwdriver antenna.
I would like to build one.  I notice
a couple out there for sale like Mel Woody
but would like to give it a try and build
one.  By the way I have a Mel Woody 80m-10m
and it works great.

Ken
N1KK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 07:47:45 PM »

Purchase a copy of the ARRL's Antenna COmpendium number 7. There are two separate articles on building your own screwdriver antenna.

Alan, KØBG

NC4ME

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 11:20:07 PM »

Tarheel Antennas will make you a 10 thru 160 coil if you need one or give you the specs if that all you need

NC4ME
W6NYG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 03:07:00 PM »

I do not own a screwdriver ant or have the specs.

I highly recommend for any person who has a HF mobile to purchase a SGC Smartuner.

Your screwdriver antenna will work better if the swr remains constant under 1.5 to 1.

The SG 237 takes the guessing out of mobiling. It does not require turning knobs, pushing a tune button only a off and on switch.

It is a remote module that is designed for open wire usage. I have a two foot run of RG 58 to the ball mount.

It will in most cases keep your antenna from becoming mismatched.

The coupler is a module that should be mounted as near to the feed point as possible.

It senses RF and has a freq counter that sends digitized data to the CPU. It make over a dozen adjustments all while the transceiver is transmitting.

There is no data cable to mess with. The device needs only 12.5 to 16 Vdc to operate at 200 ma. A nine foot run of coax comes with the Sg 237. These module will work with any transciever. They need 3 watts min.

The hands off safety factor justifies the high price. It generally can sense RF and in a few milli seconds without the ops help.

There are all sorts of automatic antenna tuners some even can adjust the VSWR while in motion.

Note the SGC Smartuners are couplers not ant tuners.
Both methods work well. Just ask anyone who has a boat what they use to match their antenna?

The modules are designed for military usage and have MIL Spec parts.

If installed per the factory recommended instructions that ant will always have max RF out.

One special note if your running more than 100 watts out ssb then it gets really expensive.

I base this info on hands on experience with the SG 230 and the SG 237....Happy mobiling  
AG5Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 12:02:43 PM »

A tuner with a screwdriver antenna?HuhHuh If you have to run a tuner with a screwdriver, you have problems!! Either the antenna will not resonate due to poor grounding or you need a new antenna. 73

Dennis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: