Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NMO or SO-239 for mobile antenna mount?  (Read 1058 times)
KB1AHR

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2004, 05:51:46 AM »

Please post your experience on pros and cons of each, and which you think is better, and why.

I'm looking at mounting a VHF/UHF mobile antenna in the 40" range on one of the no-holes trunk lip style mounts.

Thanks.

-Ben  KB1AHR
N2MPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 10:09:21 AM »

NMO is better.

better at UHF frequencies and above.
better weather resistance.
better versatility with your next mounting situation.
better so much so that the commerical and public safety sectors have standardized on it.

summary:
NMO is better.

jim / n2mpt
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 10:12:18 AM »

NMO
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 12:27:28 PM »

Forget mag mounts and trunk lip mounts.

Mag mounts come off (there has been one person killed this year due to a flying mag mount), and trunk lip mounts don't stay on and they're prone to having their coax short out due to the sharp corner the coax must make.

As the previous folks said, stick with a good NMO and drill the proper hole. When you sell the car, leave just the mount and tell them it's for the cell phone antenna.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 02:43:40 PM »

NMO mounts are indeed better.  The SO 239 mounts have too many places where corrosion can become a big problem, not so with a properly installed NMO mount.

The SO 239 mount should have been called the SO-SO 239 mount from the start!  ;-)
KC2LVC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 12:46:38 PM »

I've been looking into getting a mobile setup myself. Forgive my ignorance, but this is a SO-239, correct?

http://www.hamradio.com/web/gif/comet/3D4M%203D5M.jpg
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 01:03:56 PM »

Yes, that's an SO-239 setup.

N4UCU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 05:31:23 PM »

NMO NMO NMO
I have been using NMO mounts for 15 years with zero problems. Each time I trade pick-ups I take it home and drill a hole in the roof. It's just another hole.
I buy a new mount and let the old one go with the truck.
Don't buy the 3/8" mount (my opinion only)
Drill the big hole.
Be sure to scrap the paint off around the hole abt. 1/16" for proper grounding.
KC2LVC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 07:41:34 AM »

Does anyone know a site where you can see good photos on these different mounts, and hardware. I've done a few image seaqrches on google, but most are just drawings, or very poor quality photos. thx
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 12:43:12 PM »

Both the AES and HRO catalogs have photos.

Why not visit your local commercial radio shop and ask to look at an NMO mount.

There is no logical reason to use an SO-239 mount. The SO-239 was designed to be used on a radio chassis as a coax connector, not as antenna mount on a vehicle. If they were any good as an antenna mount, the commercial-grade antenna makers would be using them. They don't!
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 12:17:46 PM »

At the risk of being shot....

I have a Comet antenna mount with an SO-239 (I forget which model.) I use the Challenger C767 for an antenna and it works very well in my area. I have had zero problems and I can hit all the repeaters I am supposed to, and work reasonable distances on simplex when I can find someone.

The big bonus I stumbled on, was that since I leave my mobile radio in the car (TMD 700 trunk mounted with the head up front) I can park the car, toss up a temporary antenna mast with appropriate antenna, undo the C767 and plug the coax into the antenna mount outside the car. Thus the car can stay completely closed and sealed to the elements whilst I yak away.

Just my few cents worth.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 01:59:39 PM »

There's no question that the UHF mounts do work, they are just very inferior mechanically.

Although using the connector for another, external, antenna is one I hadn't thought of, there are NMO/UHF adapters that will let those of us with "real" antenna mounts do the same thing. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: