Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best mag mount antenna ?  (Read 1569 times)
XYZ234

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2004, 08:27:03 PM »

I'm just getting into ham radio (still studying for test)and am interested in getting a 2 meter mobile rig for the car.
I want to start out with the highest quality antenna right from the start (instead of starting with a cheap used one and working my way up from there like I did when I was CB'ing).
What antenna can you guys/girls suggest ?
I know Wilson puts out one of the best CB antennas but what about the Wilson 2 meter antenna ?
Thanks.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 05:15:14 AM »

There is no BEST mag mount. In fact, they are dangerous in the event of a crash. This past February a bystander was struck and killed by a mag mount antenna which dislodged due to a crash.

I'm not too sure Wilson makes the best CB antenna because their literature exaggerate the facts. One of the most popular VHF/UHF amateur antennas is the dual band Larsen NMO270.

If you're looking for a monobander, a standard old quarter wave is hard to beat in an urban setting.

Roof mounting is preferred, with the middle of the trunk is second best.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N2MPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 07:25:17 AM »

diamond.
comet.
larsen.

any of the above on a proper thru-hole NMO mount.

mag mounts suck due to poor grounding, can fall off, usually cause gasket leaks, and will scratch up the paint.  there's not a lot going for mag mounts.

jim / n2mpt
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 09:42:37 AM »

This past February a bystander was struck and killed by a mag mount antenna which dislodged due to a crash.
------------------------------------------------
Alan, can you point me to documentation of this. I could use it to make a case for a work related issue.
KB9KHF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 02:58:25 PM »

I use a Wilson 2m mag mount on my Jeep.  I like it, the mag holds very well on the hiway, and it certainly is a much better antenna, than a cheapo model I bought off Greed-bay.

That being said I am getting a permanent mounted antenna, as I am tired of the magnet mount flying off, on the trail.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 06:30:29 AM »

Bob, I'd have to go searching for it again, but here's the site:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/crash/Index.html

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K5CUR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 09:15:03 AM »

I couldn't use a mag mount if I wanted to.  It's a mustang convertible with trunk and hood made of fiberglass.  Magnet no stickee.

The only place I can put a mag mount is on the fender next to the trunk.  I tried that for a little while, but the fender is slightly rounded, so the magnet did not have a completely flat surface and held even less firmly than usual.  It didn't fall off, but it had a tendency to walk off the fender and would have fallen off in a short time if I hadn't moved it back several times.

I still didn't want to drill visible holes, so I got a lip mount.  It is screwed in place, but the screws are on the inside, out of sight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: