Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tinted Glass on Chev Silverado  (Read 389 times)
VE1HUP

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2004, 07:51:36 PM »

Hi All,

My father-in-law is interested in putting a glass mount 2m antenna on his 2002 Chev Silverado.  The only concern is that all of the windows that are suitable for mounting the antenna are factory tinted.  Has anyone out there tried running a glass mount on a truck like this?  I understand that some kinds of tint are OK and other are not appropriate for glass mount antennas.

Also, if glass mount is not workable here, has anyone gone with a fender/hood lip mount on this vehicle?

Not sure what to recommend for him.

Many thanks and 73

Darryl
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 08:10:11 PM »

While the glass mount's performance may leave something to be desired (though it may be good enough for his needs), one place to check might be EZ-Pass's (PA/DE/NY/NJ/WV/MA (as Fastlane) RF toll payment transducers) web site for the list of vehicles w/ RF opaque windshields that require external license plate mounted x-ducers.

e.g. http://www.ezpassnj.com/static/info/exteriortags.shtml

If the front windshield's not on the list, than the other windows are likely fine too, if it is, the other windows may/may not be okay. Also a dealer or a cell phone company (Verizon/Sprint/etc. may be able to tell you if it's okay for a cellular antenna.

I have seen people use an L bracket screwed to the fender at the hood edge so the screws were not really visible w/ the hood shut, but a hood lip or a rear hatch lip or a luggage rack mount may be other options if you do not want to punch the roof, or have a retracting sun roof or don't want to permanently interfere w/ the roof rack, or whatever.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 06:10:03 AM »

With a little fear of sounding brash, forget about it! The coatings all have a high level of metallic content which further reduces the efficiency of the antenna. Glass mounts are notorious for poor performance especially in a suburban location far from the repeater sites as most of the radiation is straight up.

As posted here many times, the best antenna for VHF/UHF is a NMO mount one, as they don't leak if installed properly, they don't come loose unless you do the unloosening, and their performance is first class.

When you trade the vehicle, you leave the mount and tell them it is for a cellphone. That is, if they see it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3GTO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 05:16:22 PM »

I use a dual band glass mount on a rear, left side window on my 2000 Tahoe.  This also has the dark tint.  I am very happy with it.  The signal from distant stations, are almost as strong as they are heard on my 1995 Blazer which has a 1/4 wave mounted in a hole in the center of the roof.  I couldn't come up with a good place to drill a hole on the Tahoe because of the power moonroof and the luggage rack.  I considered a fender or hood mount, but I think they are ugly.  I get a good match on both bands, and would definately use a glass mount again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: