Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting a Hustler HF antenna on motorhome?  (Read 2395 times)
WA6CDE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 12:00:21 AM »

One other thing.. SGC also makes a antenna mount which can be placed at the top of The RV... has a built in tuner also...  so you might look into their stuff too...
Ones we have seen catch just about every tree limb and low bridge over hang if not caged when moving down the road... (we heard of one going through the Mc D's drive  thru.. and took out all their lights... ops)

Most of the new RVs are being made with the new fiberglass sheets instead of the alu metal... which seems like a good idea until you think about it...  some have wood frames.. others have steel or alu..  only one problem... The new RV's are not real safe when their are electrical storms around... as where is the shield /protection?Huh and we have seen a couple new ones hit by lightening... leaves a little hole about the size of a bullet... which then when it rains leaks... grin...

What we have seen others do...

The take a piece of copper screen... about 2 inches wide and about as long as the roof line... (copper/alu or metal mesh flashing also is good... )  and when the roof is clean.. the stip is grounded well... they take and lay a piece of fiberglass over it.. and glass it to the roof... others we have seen just use the resin and epxoy the flashing to the roof.... while others screw it down at the rib lines...

Now just when you thought things were going good.. the manufactuers throw you a curve on the newer ones... by using a rubber single piece roof no leak...membrane... ops...  the fiberglassing and epoxy stuff doesn't work well here... but, being RV'ers and not letting things get the best of  'em... what we have again seen is the owners put a stip at the top along the side... one used a awning rope rail... making sure it was bonded (grounded)  well to the frame under the side wall.. fiberglass... another put a angle piece that he called a drip rail... both did the job of acting like radials on the roof...  but, I still would not sleep soundly knowing that if Mr. thor... was throwing lightening bolts around.. I would be safe inside... the newer RVs... I don't think they have taken that into consideration at the manufacturing plant yet... could be a electrifing and shocking experance though... smile...

Hope this helps... 73 WA6CDE
WA6CDE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 02:04:15 PM »

I recieved a email from a gent asking about his pick up camper and how one would mount a mobile antenna on it.  My reply is the same... except that if you go check some of the 4x4 places.... I think Draw_tite trailer hitches also sells thes..(Someone said U-haul does too)  you can find a front reciever that will bolt up to the vehicle... yep a 2x2 reciever on the front... they use them for bring boats out of the water, putting the wench on either the front or back of the vehicle.. etc... so even put a step on them to clean the windsheld...  

You then take the same expample we described in the previous article... where you take the 2x2 tube... drill for the retaining pin.. and weld a piece of steel tube... 90 deg to the squair tube.. so it is upright... (I recomend using 0.200 wall) that is 2.25 inches in dia.. of course you could go down to a 1-3/4 to 2 inch if you like smaller diamaters... the length is what ever you want to make it between 18 inches and 72 inches for height... DO NOT USE COLD WATER PIPE IT IS TOO WEAK AND WILL BREAK AT THE THREADS.  

attach the bracket that we described in the 4/5/6 btv section of the web... and mount your 4/5/6 btv on the steel tube..  now you won't be walking into it as you come out the back door.. kinda thing... again run the radials out from the base of the antenna... which now is really a big mobile whip...  Of course I wouldn't go sleeping in the cabover section with the antenna so close... make sure you check for RF also..  Most of the  time you are running less than 100 watts so its only the high power stuff which really gives you exposure anyway...

In another letter... we were asked how to take the play out of the hitch reciever to the 2x2 tube... as their seems to be a lot of play in it...  

Here we suggest that you look at your hitch reciever... some have a second smaller hole (about 3/8 inch) behind the 5/8 retaining pin hole... ahhhh  lights on...  what you can do is either drill a larger hole on the opposite side of one 3/8s hole...  One can go about this in two ways... first... use a piece of threaded long nut... something that looks like a 2 inch long but, threaded 3/8 inch shaft... make sure the 3/8 bolt is in the one side to align it.. and have the local welder re-weld it in place from the hole you drilled to fit it in ...

The second is to weld a nut on a piece of 1 inch wide x 1/8 inch strap.. so as to make a holding device for the nut.. (like a spoon) in position..

Then when you put the 2x2 tube in... place the 5/8 holding pin on.. with lock... you can thread the 3/8 bolt into the nut... either reaching inside with the spoon or the affexed welded one.. and tighten it up... this then will hold the tube solid against one side and stop any play action...

Hope this helps.. 73's WA6CDE
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: