Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm $%^&* off !!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 799 times)
XYZ234

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2004, 04:40:01 PM »

Finally got my callsign in the mail last week and bought a brand new Icom IC V8000 and antenna.
I've been useing it for 4 days now (for a total of about 1 hour transmit time)and I got in the car tonight and there is no sound coming out of the speaker. Can't hear a #$@$%@^#  thing ! No, the mute function is not on or anything like that.
I reset the PCU 5 or 6 times to no avail.
No, the squelch is not up all the way etc... etc... !
The !@#$%^& speaker must have gave out already !
All the reviews I read about this radio were great, that's why I bought it, must have got a lemon.
Anyone else experience this ?
Someone's gonna get an earfull tommorrow morning !
Thanks for listening.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:52:41 PM »

The FIRST thing you need to do is CALM DOWN!!! Getting bent out of shape doesn't help anything.

Now, it will help considerably if you will say exactly what you did to put the radio in the vehicle.

Is it wired directly to the battery?

Is there an antenna connected?

Is there an external speaker plugged in?

Does the radio turn on?

Have you taken it back in the house, connected it to the power supply there and tried it?

Have you checked the squelch to see if you have it turned up too far?

You seemed the other day to be having problems understanding the manual. How do you know you haven't muted it or made some other menu change?

It is doubtful the radio speaker has suddenly died.

Calm down and take things step by step. Another thing you need to do is get connected with a couple of other hams and/or your local radion club. It is MUCH easier to trouble shoot things in person than over the Internet.

Answer the above questions and the folks here will be better able to help you.

Lon

YEPSURE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 05:25:14 PM »

Yes indeed, taking it a little easier is the best thing to do. I know when you get your first radio you want it to work, and it's not like you have other radio's to "fall back" on if one does fail. I realize this is a big aggravation for you but I personally have found that when I get fed up with something I'm working on it's best to just drop your repair attempts until the following day. Then return to the problem with a fresh perspective, not to mention some advice from those who know about these things (which your doing here).

I can't tell you how many times I've got ticked off with my stuff. Believe me though, the best solution is to just let it go until the next day. Then work on it once you have a little more info on what might be wrong. Heck, I've even had some of my stuff just start working on it's own the next day!

On that note, if the speaker is the problem there are a few things you can check to determine what may be wrong. First we need to know if your using an external speaker or the internal speaker. If external, try unplugging the speaker from the jack and see if the internal speaker works. If your only using the internal speaker you might try scrolling through the radio's menu, as there may be a feature that toggles various speaker configurations. Since I've never had your model radio I don't know what it's menu features consist of. Beyond that I would also check your manual to see if there are other menu features that could affect the audio output. You may have inadvertently toggled something within the menu setup that changed the radio's audio properties.

The other possibility is the internal speaker may have come unplugged from the circuit board inside the radio. Although it's rare, it can and has happened.

Good luck with it. Like I said before, I know this is really maddening but stay focused on what your doing. There are only so many things that can be wrong here, and your radio is under warranty so worst case scenario is you have to ship it to Icom for repair. I've dealt with warranty issues before and it usually doesn't take long until you have your radio back good as new (if it even requires warranty work).
XYZ234

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 05:57:28 PM »

It's wired directly to the battery and has an antenna conected to it and I tried it with the antenna unhooked.
No external speaker.
The power turns on and I can transmit but I can't hear a thing when someone replies but the signal meter shows that someone is transmitting (when I ask for a radio check).
I've tried it with the squelch in many different positions, mostly with it turned down completely.
By resetting the CPU (which I did many times)it is supposed to go back to it's factory settings which would disable any functions that I might have accidentily set.
I turned it on again 20 minutes ago after it had been off for 2 hours and I heard a burst of static for a split second and that was it, still no sound, same thing all over again.
I don't know what else could be causing this !
If the speaker is working then it shouldn't be this complicated.
More advice please, thanks.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 06:29:58 PM »

Sounds a lot to me like you enabled receive PL, and the audio is staying muted, looking for the correct tone.  Try looking through the book to see how you toggle the tone squelch and see if that brings the audio back.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 06:34:32 PM »

Mark,

You beat me to it.

Considering the problems this young man was having a couple of days ago with understanding how to program the radio, accidentally turning on the PL (or setting a wrong PL) is a real possibility. I've done it myself on an occasion or two. Smiley

Lon
K8JDC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 06:43:43 PM »

If I suspected that the speaker had died, which doesn't seem terribly likely, the first thing I would do is connect an external speaker and give that a try.

JDC
XYZ234

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 07:46:08 PM »

I'll take another look but resetting the PCU is supposed to solve any of those problems, isn't it ?
I'll let you all know.
XYZ234

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 08:52:59 PM »

I went back out to check the PL codes and turned the radio on and it worked without touching a thing !
I spent half an hour talking on it and everyone said it was sounding fine.
I turned it on and off numerous times and it kept working.
I guess it corrected itself. Why would it do this ?
Should I sent it back, it works fine now ?
Will it do it again ?
I'm still not happy !
I'll call Icom in the morning and see what they say.
YEPSURE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 07:21:22 AM »

Yes, doing a master reset should put the radio back in the original factory state, which SHOULD have PL/DPL, Signal Squelch, and whatever else disabled. However, I have found in most modern radio's there are different levels of resetting. For example, my Kenwood has something like 3 different levels of resets. One resets only the memories, the other resets any menu settings you've made, and the last one is a master reset (some call it a "Hard Reset"). The last reset does EVERYTHING with no questions asked.

Not being familiar with the menu in the Icom you have, I don't know if it employs resets at different levels the way some of the Kenwood's do, but it's something to look in to nonetheless. Just make certain your performing a full (or master) reset of your radio. In that case it should undo any settings you've made in the way of CTCSS, DCS, Signal Squelch, etc.

Now it's entirely possible there actually IS a problem with your radio. We can't discount the possibility, but if you've gone through absolutely every troubleshooting issue you can and it continues to "act up" then I would definitely send the radio in for warranty repair. Like I said earlier, I've used warranty service (from Kenwood) many times and most services are very quick, and is the safest way to have your radio repaired in the longrun.

I would keep an eye on the radio's symptoms to see if it does it again. If you know you haven't performed a reset and the radio just starts working again on it's own, then I'd say there's still a problem. And the problem could be deeper wthin the radio than what you typically find with these systems, such as a component, or components, that are out of tolerance inside the radio itself. Component tolerance, component failure, improper soldering, or physical damage to the circuit board are all things that can be the deeper issue within your radio, so it's always best to utilize your warranty should the need arise.

Good luck with your Icom. I know the IC-V8000 has enjoyed great success, and I almost considered one myself when they first came out. You have a proven model and if you have to end up sending it in for warranty repair it's always the best thing to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: