Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Austin Antennas 5 band mobile and pentaplexer  (Read 609 times)
K7VO

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2005, 09:34:51 AM »

Hi, everyone,

Has anyone used Austin Antennas five band (6/2/222/440/1.2) antenna and pentaplexer?  If so, how do you like it?  How is performance?

Thanks and 73,
Caity
K7VO/8
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 12:36:32 PM »

First of all, they look like a 1/4 wave antenna on each frequency which would be fine if you live in an urban environment. The penta-plexor, or what ever they call it, probably is okay too. Their web site says nothing about their power level ratings, but I've heard they are only 50 watts which may not be adequate for some radios. At $180 for the penta-plexor, the price is a little steep too.

At HF frequencies multi band antennas are the norm, and tons of folks use dual band antennas with great results. However, at high UHF frequencies things get a little dicey and efficiency suffers.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:24:34 AM »

Alan, are your comments based on actual use of the antenna and/or pentaplexer or are you guessing?  What I am looking for are people with real world experience before I plunk down the money to go this route with an Icom IC-901A.

Thanks and 73,
Caity
K7VO/8
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 01:14:11 PM »

Personally, I'd find a better solution. An Icom IC-901A is a dual band radio, so the extra band coverage the antenna and penta-plexor provides is moot. I don't think you would go wrong with a Larsen NMO2/70. It is the most popular dual band VHF antenna on the marke, bar none. There's a good reason for this too.

And no, I've never used one of Austin's products. In the amateur community, the word gets out rather quickly when there really is a break-though in performance, cost, or reliability. In other words, if you don't hear about it often, it isn't used often. I think I have seen maybe 2 or 3 of their products used by amateurs. That has to tell you something.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »

The Icom IC-901A is a six band radio with all the modules, not a dual bander.  I rarely, if ever, see one in a dual band configuration. I don't have a 10m module, so...  The five bands of coverage is for exactly the five bands I need, hence my question.

As far as rarely used is concerned that is a great way to get into an argument with me.  I have an unpopular Kenwood TS-670 for 6m and some HF bands.  Great radio.  Of course the even more unpopular NCG 7/21/50 has the best 6m receiver I've tested.  My Shimizu Denshi SS-105S is another absolutely wonderful HF QRP radio in terms of receiver performance.  I collect Mizuho rigs and think that they are some of the neatest QRP products ever.  My all time favorite rig, though, is the Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750.  Hmmm... not one best seller there.

Did I mention that I now have a Mini-Multi HT-3 vertical for 10, 15, and 20 due to my limited antenna space?  There's another name you don't hear often.

Just because Austin hasn't done a great job of marketing does indeed say something:  they are lousy at marketing.  It says exactly zero about their antennas.

Alan, you've now advised me twice and I am no more enlightened than before.  I am still looking for real world reports based on actual experience.

Caity
K7VO/8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: