Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Travel Plus CD for repeaters....  (Read 869 times)
SFD301

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2005, 07:22:42 AM »

Hey all,

I'm trying to prepare for the travel season early and find something that will allow me to print out repeater locations and freq's on a map by my route.  That is, from NY to FL on the I-95 canyon.

That way I will be able to refernce it quickly while moving down the road since it will be custom to me.

Anyone have experience with this CD?  Will it do what I want it to?   Am I better off with just planning out the large repeaters with the directory?

Thanks
de KC2NMX
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 08:47:05 AM »

The very latest version of the ARRL repeater guide is only about 80% accurate if that much. If I were making the trip and all I had was 2 meters, I buy the small version of Wal-Mart's Road Atlas ($3.95) and write in the repeaters with a marker pen. Personally, I prefer HF for obvious reasons.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 10:12:10 AM »

Yes, it will do what you want, but I agree with Alan that you ca do just as much with a map and the Repeater Guide and a few minutes work.

What neither the repeater directory nor the CD will tell you is what repeaters are actually on the air. All the directory and CD do is list what is licensed. In my travels (about 30,000 miles a year) I find that a significant percentage of the repeaters are not on the air - at least I can never bring them up.

If you are wanting on-the-air company while you are traveling, HF is a much better choice. Both 17m and 20m are good mobile bands and 40m isn't bad, either. Besides, you don't have to worry about dropping out of repeater range. Smiley

Lon
SFD301

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 11:05:16 AM »

Thanks for the info...

Only a tech for now, so I'm stuck with the higher stuff until I upgrade a few months down the road.

geo
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 11:28:31 AM »

But the real trick is not plotting the reapeters on a map, so much as knowing which ones are active (not even on the air so much as commonly used) and more importantly the coverage. Just because its an inch away on the map doesn't mean you have coverage through a ridge line.

Dan S.
KO1D
SFD301

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 11:43:12 AM »

Good point....so how much simplex is used on the road traveling?   My RV trips during the summer are only within the state, or to a nearby one, but the trip to FL is a major one with the RV and since it is during our kids winter break I'm wondering how many use/monitor simplex while on the road.

I'm betting that the 30 repeater Freq's that I have locally will generate a good deal of hits, I'll just have to get the PL scan going.

Not as easy for traveling as it could be....
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 02:03:41 PM »

> ....so how much simplex is used on the road
> traveling?

In my experience, virtually none.  What I've found to capture the most 2m activity is to scan from 145.110 to 147.600 continuously, and leave a 2nd rig (usually an HT on a mag mount) on 146.520.  I can count the number of times on one hand I've had a QSO with a fellow motorist going the same direction I was at the same time, within the 5-10 miles or so range simplex will give you.  Sometimes you'll catch someone going the other direction but the QSO will be brief if you're both going 70mph in opposite directions.  In the flatlands even repeaters won't give you much airtime before you pass through their coverage area.  Out west (and a few more popping up in other areas of the country) where there are linked repeaters you can jump from node to node and stay in the system, so this is your best chance of staying in contact.  The lack of 2m activity on trips is what drove me to install an HF mobile setup, you can go a lot of hours between contacts with just 2m in the car.  HF gives you communications to somewhere, any time day or night.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 12:51:43 PM »

It depends where you are. In the DC area, not much simplex is done. However, Between Baltimore and NYC I actually find a lot of activity on or around 146.52 simplex at night. Having an HF will not get your far, having a decent mobile rig and calling CQ on a busy highway corridor might.

A trick I used in the past, with meagre success is to write the SMs for the sections asking advice on active repeaters. When that fails, the occasional CQ on 52, nice and long, will surprise you.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 12:53:35 PM »

Correct HF to Handie -Talkie....man I gotta watch the dosage on those cold pills before Alan reads that last post! HI HI
NH7L

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 08:45:09 AM »

My method, before a trip:

Use Google (or whatever search engine you prefer). If going to Texas, type into the prompt: Texas repeaters. Hit return. Find the repeater list you want in the results.

There is an online repeater list (several in some cases) for every state and major city in the United States. Usually it's maintained by a ham club, sometimes by a state or local frequency coordinator.

Anyway, find it, and print yourself a copy or make a file for your Palm Pilot. Lighter and less bulky to carry than even the small book the ARRL puts out.
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 07:38:51 AM »

I do this very thing with Travel Plus and an FT8900 with programing software. The travel plus gives me a list of every repeater within  a chosen distance  of my route. I use 75 miles. I export the list into the radio programming software and edit the labels if needed. I then import the list into the radio. The RT systems radio programming software does not mesh with Travel Plus as well as the software available on the internet from an English ham. This works flawlessly with Travel Plus.

Yes there are a lot of paper repeaters and ones that never get keyed, but if you set the radio scanning, you will catch most of the local activity and stay awake. In some areas locals ignore strangers and in others they are very welcoming. Don't forget to put the simplex calling frequency 146.520 into your scan list in several spots. Good way to get local activity also.

Good luck and 73 from Walt N2IK
SFD301

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 06:51:55 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  I will be mixing and matching the ones that I think may work for me.

Scanning the repeaters seems to be one that might work.   After I upgrade to the General ticket I'll enjoy the IC706 in the truck much more.  lol.

kc2nmx
SFD301

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 06:49:07 AM »

Just as an update to the solution that I'm going with.

I've take the AAA maps and the repeater book to map out about 50 along the I-95 path.   I've tried to grab repeaters that look like they belong to a club hoping they will be more active, with no tones.   I've noticed that more than I thought are on the same FQ's without tones, so that is going to make the programming that much easier.

I've made up a chart, with the map page as a reference, memory number, and location of the machine.   As I drive I can now have the XLY look at the map and give me the  channel number that I've also written on the margin (AAA Triptik) - all in order for ease.

I will highlight active ones and delete others that are not.  On the way back I'll replace the inactive ones.  I'll post the outcome when I get back.

kc2nmx
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 08:44:42 AM »

Depending¦on¦your¦Route¦on¦95¦I¦may¦have¦some¦repeaters¦you¦can¦use.¦I¦travel¦between¦VA/DC¦and¦MA¦often,¦and¦even¦do¦VA/DC¦to¦VE3¦on¦occasion¦so¦I¦have¦a¦few¦lists.¦Email¦me¦direct¦and¦I¦will¦get¦any¦relevant¦repeaters¦at¦home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: