Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new radio is acting up again!!!!!  (Read 473 times)
XYZ234

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2004, 03:28:59 PM »

Just an update from my post the other night.
There's no sound coming from the speaker (Icom V8000) again tonight.
It did it again yesterday too. I was driving along listening to a conversion not touching a thing and then all of a sudden it went totally quiet . It was still receiving the signal but no audio. Turned it off then back on 10 mins later and it was working. Now it's doing it again tonight. Has absolutely nothing to do with the squelch, volume, mute, etc... etc...I guess it will have to go back to Icom next week. Don't they check these things before they sell them ! It's barely a week old !
Very frustrating, especially for a new operators first (and brand new) radio !
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 01:11:19 AM »

Bite the bullet and send it back for warranty service.

Dennis / KG4RUL
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 04:22:03 AM »

Sounds like an intermittant bad connection internally. Those can be tough to identify/catch. Bummer!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 05:58:37 AM »

Now you are about to find out just how good your dealer is (was). Although I agree, send it back, baby failures are sometimes handled by the dealer. At least it is worth a try.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 09:20:08 AM »

"""Don't they check these things before they sell them ! It's barely a week old"""

Of course they don't.

What are you using for an external speaker?

By the way, you might start by calming down and reading the warrantee.  NOBODY on the face of this earth who manufactures or sells ANYTHING  guarantees that it will work.

They simply guarantee that "if it doesn't work"  that they will replace, repair, or refund your money.
AD0AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 09:30:48 AM »

You got a bad piece of iron. Return it or send it off for repair. While they probably DO test the components and finished products for quality assurance, no manufacturing process is perfect and sooner or later you're going to wind up with a lemon. It sounds like it's an intermittent problem that wouldn't show up on any kind of quality control testing, no matter if it's Icom, Vertex, or Kenwood. The V8000 is usually a good solid radio and it's probably just a bad audio section.

I remember when I bought my first radio--the HTX-202--I couldn't hear hardly anything through it. I was really disappointed because I thought it was the lack of amateur activity in my area. I figured I'd wasted all this time and money getting into a dead hobby. Then I found an elmer and he helped me figure out that it was really just my radio had a bad antenna connection from the factory. I felt so stupid for thinking it was lack of activity. Nothing that a little Tandy warranty repair couldn't handle.

Good luck--don't give up on the hobby.
W4XKE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 06:54:43 AM »

With surface mount technology, the PCBs are washed with molten solder to create the connections to parts and make solder traces.  Sometimes a hair-line crack will develop (vibration / shock) and will render the device intermittent.  (Intermittent problems usually remain to be so for the service life of the equipment.) It can be really hard to locate or to convince a salesperson there is a problem in the first place.  One method is to spray an aerosol coolant on the board while it's operating to see if the crack will open.
   In your case, with the new radio the problem will be getting the unit replaced.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Respectfully, Johnny W4XKE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: