Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10M mobile....Is 10 really that dead?  (Read 631 times)
KC0CDX

Ignore
« on: April 26, 2005, 03:44:13 PM »

I got a new HTX-10 a couple weeks ago and a Radio Shack CB antenna cut down for 10 meters (according to the package its supposed to work) the price was great so I figured why not give HF a try? After a 2 weeks of listening, I can't hear a dang thing but noise...occasionally the N0AR Beacon in St. Paul (probably 15 miles from my driveway), but vehicle noise overcomes that as soon as i start the car. Is 10 really that dead?? I'm hoping that I just need a better antenna or a way to rid some of the electrical noise... In my searching of the forums here, it seems no one really talks of 10 meters much...is this a worthless band for the next few years? I couldnt even hear a local net on 28.310 last night, maybe no one was on!?? I'd never know.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 04:11:42 PM »

10 meters is in the doldrums right now, and this is expected to continue for about another 2-1/2 years.  Should start picking up by the fall/winter season of 2007 and get really good by 2008-2009.

You can find occasional openings on 10m, mostly during the daytime (and earlier in the day, rather than later), when the MUF gets up to 28 MHz.  10 meters is also a good band for sporadic-E skip, which can occur any time, day or night, but is -- of course -- "sporadic," so there's no way to predict when it might happen, or how long it might last.

Although I do catch some daytime openings on weekends on 10 meters from home, where I have a beam on a tower and can hear weak signals a lot better than I could in my car, if I had to chose an HF mobile band at this time, it wouldn't be 10 meters.  I'd shoot for 17 meters or 20 meters for most daytime/early evening operation, or 40 meters for later in the evening, and throughout the night.

10 can be a great band, but we're just about at the sunspot cycle minimum and this isn't a good time.  OTOH, during the Cycle 23 peak in 1990, I had a Radio Shack HTX-100 (25W) in the car, with a 102" CB whip on a ball mount, and worked 100 DX countries in a single winter, all from the car.  Was astonished to catch a station in Armenia, which is just about the other side of the globe from here in Los Angeles, pounding in one late afternoon, and worked him on one call.  I pulled off to the side of the road to complete that contact, and then immediately worked a station in Lebanon right afterwords.

So, the Radio Shack/CB whip combination works fine.  It's just not 1990 right now...

WB2WIK/6
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 06:50:44 PM »

Well, 10 meters acts more like VHF when the sun spots are low. However, keep trying! Just today, at about 11:00 MDT, I worked a couple of JAs on 10 at about 28.450. Not too strong, but I did get a 55 out of one of them.

Two weeks ago, it was open from Roswell, to parts of Florida, for about 30 minutes.

I think you're correct, as a lot of times every one is listening instead of calling CQ.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE5EOT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 03:22:48 PM »

I'll be installing a 10m mobile soon and I was wondering if there was a specific frequency (within the limits of a tech plus license) that would be best to monitor or call on.
GM7CXM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 08:33:23 AM »

To KE5EOT: When 10 is in the doldrums like it is now, you'll find that most activity starts out around 28480 - 28500. If there are any multi-op DXpeditions about, they'll most likely be on 28495. If the band opens, operation will spread from the centre.

Assuming that one of your best areas at this time of the cycle is trans-equatorial, don't forget to look from time to time at 28300-28350, the novice allocation in Argentina.

Hope this is of use to you.

73 de Duncan EA5ON / GM7CXM
KE5EOT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 09:15:48 AM »

All information is helpful and appreciated.  I figure that most of my contacts will be local for a while, but it's nice to know where to listen for long distance contacts.
KE5EOT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 05:44:59 PM »

10 meters seems to be fairly dead around here.  I've been calling CQ on my way to work and back, but I haven't heard a peep.  If you're in Dallas on 28.4 during drive time, give a shout.  I'll be listening.
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 01:47:00 PM »

Kinda dead...

But on my extensive commute, I scan 10M here in the last 6 months, and have worked quite a bit of North-South DX on 25 watts.  Brazil, Netherlands Antillies, Chile, Argentina, and most of the Carribbean.

Call CQ!  Ya never know what might come back to you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: