Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler CGT-144 on six meters ??  (Read 663 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2005, 05:27:43 PM »

I have enjoyed the cgt-144 in the mobile over the years and have heard it has usability on 6 meters.
Im interested in  dual band performance.
Assuming resonance on two meters, what kind of swr figures are experienced on 50 - 53 Mhz? Is it an electrical quarter wave on six meters? Thanks in advance, Ken
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:31:10 PM »

CORRECTION - I THINK THE BONUS EXTRA BAND WAS TEN METERS PERHAPS NOT SIX METERS. PLEASE REPLY IF IT WAS TEN OR SIX METERS.
THANKS, KEN
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 06:23:25 PM »

It depends on what mode you are going to operate on. If it is FM, just about anything will work as long as the SWR is reasonable. If you're going to do SSB, for best result you need a horizontally polarized antenna. The M2 Squalo is a start. You can even home brew one by following the article in the ARRL Antenna Handbook.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 07:07:08 PM »

OMs and YLs,
please let me rephrase the question.........
My question is specifically about the CGT-144 VS SWR curves (The "T" in CGT assumes trunk lip mounting).

What are the typical SWR curves for the cgt-144 on 6 and ten meters??

Please express your response using numbers or/and figures. Thanks, ken
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 06:56:35 AM »

It isn't designed to operate on any band except 2 meters. If it just HAPPENS to load on some other band, doesn't mean it's efficient.

One other thing about the 144. On at least two amateur web sites, it is described as the "highest gain 2 meter antenna you can buy" at 5.8 dB. What isn't published is, that's dBi, not dBd. Its dBd gain is about 3.4. What's more, this is theoretical gain, not true range-measured gain.

One responder in the reviews forum on this site, stated he could set off car alarms with the 144 fed with 60 watts, and exclaimed (sic) "now that's an RF field". Trust me, there's more to it than its RFI capabilities.

Be happy if it loads on 2.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB9YCJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 07:31:20 AM »

Taken from the some reviews here on Eham......

"The added bonus of 10 meter operation makes it my primary antenna for 10 meter mobile both on SSB and FM. I don't know why Newtronics doesn't advertize this feature."..........

"Also, for you 10 meter mobileers, this antenna will give you a flat SWR on 10 meters as well as 2 meters. Not just part of 10, THE WHOLE BAND! No tuner needed. I use an RS HTX-100 with it, mobile and base with homebrewed ground plane, and have worked a fair amount of DX. Works great on 10 and 2! "
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 12:32:46 PM »

Ken, covering all of 10 meters with any 1/4 antenna (loaded or unloaded)indicates just one thing; the overall losses are high. The fact you were able to work a few DX stations just proves how little power it takes when the band is open.

The reason Hustler doesn't advertise the antenna as working on 10 meters, is because they know it's very lossy in that application.  

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: