Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting FT-1500M  (Read 363 times)
K4OFS

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2005, 05:34:35 PM »

I want to transplant my Yaesu FT-1500M 2M mobile into my 2004 Nissan Sentra. The FT-1500M is small, however it still looks like a tough fit  under the dash on the driver's side.

Anyone with this car found a good solution?

Rich
K4OFS
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 06:27:24 PM »

It is indeed a little large. Today's vehicles do not have the interior space our old Chevy Caprices and Ford LTDs had. But why limit yourself to VHF. Take the plunge and purchase a good used IC706 or FT100, and go for broke? HF is a lot of fun if you do the necessary installation practices. If in doubt, visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 06:54:24 PM »

Not the same vehicle but the same radio. I've got mine mounted, pointing up facing the roof, on the floor-hump in my Ford Ranger. I've even taken it out before and you can't even tell the holes in the floor are there. The speaker is on the top of the radio so mounting options without an external speaker are limited if you don't want the speaker to be obstructed and you still want the display to read upright.

Good luck & 73
Dave
KE3HO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:27:33 AM »

I don't have any specific advice for you regarding where to mount the rig in your car. You may already be aware of this, but the LCD display on that rig is only viewable from a narrow angular range. I discovered that when I mounted mine in the car, powered it up, and discovered that I could not see the characters on the display unless I leaned way over and moved my head down to look almost straight into the face of the rig. I ended up moving it to a new location. When you pick the spot for the rig, hold it there and power it up to make sure you can easily read the display without having to move your head. It has been a few years, but if I remember right, the display is readable from straight on and from below the rig, but if you look at it from above you cannot make out the characters. So if you mount it under the dash, you will need a location where you can tip the rig upwards in order to read the display.

73 - Jim
KE8YY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 01:21:37 PM »

I mounted my 1500 in my Honda Element on a stand made from hardware store bits.

I used 3/4" angle brackets, and a couple of scrap steel plates- you could use 3/4" strapping from the hardware store, too. It's basically just a pair of legs that are bolted to the 1500 mounting bracket, and tuck under the carpet (I taped the bottom to keep from scratching the floor) and holds the radio at an angle. Works well.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 02:23:46 PM »

The one thing I can't emphasize enoungh is, don't fall into the temptation to shove it into some little nook or cranny.  This radio NEEDS free air circulation to live.  I regret having sold mine to help pay for my FT100D.  I should have kept it and gotten an HF/6M rig to complement it.

Dennis KG4RUL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: