Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-2720 Question...  (Read 450 times)
WA4SE

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2003, 08:18:44 PM »

I think I have decided to treat myself to a new rig... As I look at placing my order, I was wondering what exactly I needed to successfully "remote" the rig in my vehicle.

I understand that the radio includes the remote mounting cable and mounting bracket for the head in the box.  The mic can then be attached to the remote head or directly to the radio itself if I understand correctly.

I read in the Product Reviews section here on eHam that the 2720 remote cable is just an RJ-6 and the mic extension would be a "crossover" LAN cable with RJ-45 connectors.  So - no need to purchase a longer extension cable or mic extension if I decide to trunk mount...

I'm hoping that someone who owns the rig can confirm the above for me so there are no surprises when I order!

I am looking forward to obtaining this rig - the reviews seem great and I think I'll really enjoy being mobile again...

Thanks in advance!

-- Scott /  WA4SE
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 07:54:51 AM »

Might also check out the new icom 208h.. dual band/single display, remote head smaller.
WA4SE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 08:03:48 AM »

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I actually really like the look of the 208H, however who knows when it will be type accepted!  I heard it could be the "end of the summer" (whatever that means) before it is in stores... I understand that the 2720H was delayed significantly from when it was supposed to be released.

One other thing I was considering is the fact that the separation cable, etc. is included with the 2720.  When I was pricing the 207H, by the time you added the remote kit it was only another $20 for the additional features of the 2720.

I also liked the look of the FT-8900, but that's another $100 jump and I'm not sure what kind of 6m or 10m activity goes on in South Florida...

Thanks again for your reply!

-- Scott
KC0OXM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 12:37:49 PM »

FT-8900 separation cable is simply 6-conductor telephone extension cable.  You can get the extension cable with the female connector at one end, though I've only found them in 25' lengths...too long for my application.  

What I did was to buy a 7' modular cable, then get the modular cable connector (2 female connectors) to join it to the short cable that comes with the unit.  

You can't just use a modular cable on the FT-8900 because modular cables cross the conductors over, where as the radio needs straight-through cable.  Using one of the extension methods above ensures you're going straight through.  

The third method of course is to make your own cables to custom length.

The only think left, then, is to figure out how to mount the remote head.  I'm in the process of looking for a universal cell phone holder that will accomplish this function.
KB3JDB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 12:51:47 PM »

You're correct on all accounts.

I just installed an IC-2720H in my new Dodge RAM truck.  I don't remember how long the remote cable is, but with my radio mounted under the drivers seat, I have plenty of extra bundled up.  You can plug the mic into the remote faceplate and/or the unit if you wish.

You will need an external speaker if the unit is mounted in the trunk.  I use the fixed speaker in the unit right now without too much issue;  and my truck is a diesel and is a little louder than most vehicles (albeit that the new RAM diesels are MUCH quieter than the older ones).

I velcro'd the faceplate to the top of the steering column, and mic sits off to the right in a pocket on the dash.

One thing you cannot do is mount the radio and faceplate together and hang it under the dashboard, etc.. To do so you need to purchase an optional bracket.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Chris
KC8WWF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2003, 02:01:06 PM »

I am considering the 2720 for my Dodge Ram truck (new body style).

Can I power this radio direct off of the battery?  Or do I need something else to run the radio at full power?

What kind of antenna are you using?

Thanks
W5CUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 09:47:27 AM »

I just finished mounting my FT-90R in my new RAM 3500 Diesel, and ran the power leads (both positive and negative) through the firewall to the battery on driver side of the engine compartment.  It originally was mounted in a RAM 1500 (V6 Gasoline) using the same method.  So even with a standard alternator that comes with a non-diesel, I do not think you would encounter any issues powering your radio using the mentioned method. In both installations, I have used the radio with the vehicle running, as well as turned off.  Just remember to turn the radio off before you leave the vehicle Wink

On another note, I just ordered the TS-480HX, which has a potential current draw of 40A. I plan on installing that into the truck as well.  In doing so, I guess I will find out just how much the higher rated alternator will actually handle.  I would be interested in finding out if anyone has had experience with this radio in a RAM 3500 Diesel?

73's
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: