Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hands Free for Yaesu Mobile Rig?  (Read 1055 times)
9W2SAI

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2005, 07:24:41 PM »

I have a Yaesu FT8800R and do a lot of DX-ing from my jalopy.  Just want to know, whether there is any sort of hands free car kit to replace the hand mic for my set.  Don't want to run foul with the law and to make my driving easier instead of holding the wheel with one hand and the hand mic in the other.  Saw one in a Japanese magazine but forgot the website.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 05:56:31 AM »

If you have an e-mail, pass it along and I'll fill you in about "hands-free".

In short, there are indeed a couple of solutions, other than using a head set. However, they are NOT (!) cheap. The IR unit that used to be sold by Icom cost over $250. The head set and the base unit were sold separately. As it was intended to be used on a base setup, it required that you make your own DC power cables. The unit which plugs into the radio was a large as some current radios. The mic (it was not a headset) could easily be mounted on a neck boom (I've seen two installations like this). The VOX part was not as successful as a built-in one, as there was no anti-VOX. Lastly, using VOX in a mobile is asking for it, as just about the first time some knuckle head pulls out in front of you, every one of your friends will know just how you feel.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

9W2SAI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 01:47:48 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  The reason for me asking is that its trouble some to hold the wheel on one hand and hand mic with the other.  I saw an advert in one of the Japanese HAM magazines but forgot to write the web addy down.  They have hands free for Icom but not too sure for the rest.  I'll see if I can get a copy of that magazine and try and contact the supplier.

73's - 9W2SAI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: