Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ham sticks versus ?????  (Read 403 times)
WB6LNH

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »

just replaced a Icom 706MKII G and 20 meter hamstick on my truck and am considering another hf ant.
I do go off road and into the woods and that has to be considered,   also i mount the antennas i have now on my tool box on the side with spring mounts,,, hustler co linear whip and 20 meter ham stick, but am considering one of the motorized loading antennas or a tuner controlled whip,  comments about either.  lots to chose from and so any imput is appreciated..leaning to the whip/tuner mode because of so much luck using the tuner and backstay on by sailboat.  probably would have to mount whip on bumper??
regards
rick
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 06:20:12 AM »

I wouldn't subject any model screwdriver antenna to an off road environment.  I think you're on the right track with a whip and a tuner.  Pretty hard to hurt an eight foot whip, and if you do, it's quickly and inexpensively replaced.  Hamsticks are also inexpensive if you don't mind being stuck on one band and their lackluster performance, but saving the cost of a tuner for the whip.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 11:14:42 AM »

I use a whip and a SGC auto-coupler. Screwdrivers
won't hold up long off the road. Been there, tore one up.
73 - Tim
KC0TLN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 01:56:15 PM »

Like you I have an ICOM 706mkIIg, and I am very satisfied with a 9' whip and an SGC239 autocoupler.  There are two threads where I got lots of good advice, both threads search on Ford E150 Van if you like.  I have some issue with getting the autocoupler to match on 17m and 15m, but that is some kind of internal resonance that I have not yet gotten bonded out of the vehicle.  That issue is vehicle specific, and you would want to go through the same process of bonding to get performance out of a screwdriver, so I wouldn't count that as a negative.  No amount of bonding is ever wasted!

I hope that you have visited Alan's site, K0BG.  There is a vast wealth of information there, which I have made great use of.

Good luck!
--Ron
KC0TLN
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 04:34:09 PM »

I have an Icom 706 in my 2004 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab pickup truck with an SG-237 auto-tuner and a 102 inch whip antenna.  This is a great combo so far.  I would have better results I know with a screwdriver type antenna but this is not bad.

I went to the SGC offices to talk to their technical people about my configuration (SGC is located in Bellevue, WA and I work in Bellevue WA).  They recommended the SG-237 as the preferred antenna tuner.  The SG-239 is of course OK too and is better if the 200 watt capability of the 239 is important.  The 237 though can tune 6 meters so that is what I preferred over the higher power.  Now, I just need to wait for some 6 meter activity.

I am preparing a pictorial description of my setup including the weatherproof box I made for the SG-237.  Now, this already comes in a weather proof box but the guys at SGC suggested that I also put it in a weather proof box to keep not only the rain out but the sun as well.  When I finally get the time to finish my description though I am posting it on my web site.

I learned a lot from Alan's site though and highly recommend that you become a fan of www.k0bg.com if you have not already.  And, Alan needs to get busy and write the definitive mobiling book with full color diagrams and pictures and chapters on batteries and so on.

phil
K7PEH
www.k7peh.com (my mobile setup will be published soon)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: