Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-V8000 in DIN slot  (Read 472 times)
N5VFF

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2003, 10:30:10 PM »

Its time to upgrade the XYLs audio setup in her '99 Mustang for Xmas this year.  I'm taking the opportunity to move all the main audio gear to a single DIN unit vs. the older Ford standard 2 DIN (receiver/cassette in one and CD player in the other).

That will, quite fortuitously I might add, leave an available DIN slot.  Has anyone done an install of an Icom IC-V8000 in a DIN slot?  Based on the measurements it looks like it will fit perfectly and the front firing speaker will save finding a spot to mount an external.  

Based on the amount of room inside the console surround I don't see air circulation as a problem.  I helped another ham put an FT8900R in his Jetta earlier this year, but that seemed a little overly complex for the XYL.  

I'm looking for some hints and tips so I don't have to reivent the wheel totally in the process.  

73/N5VFF
KG6TGW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 12:05:22 AM »

I'm curious to know how you did the install in the Jetta.  I have a Golf and will be buying a V8000 in the near future.
N5VFF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 01:35:21 AM »

The Jetta belongs to KI4ATR.  I've pasted the link on the install below.  We put an FT8900R in one of his DIN slots.  I got the stereo/sirius installed and the main wiring for ham gear done in the XYLs Mustang last weekend.  After the Greenwood hamfest this weekend I may try to finish up the V8000.

73/N5VFF

http://www.fortunemegastore.com/gallery/jettaham
KC2JCJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 05:01:23 PM »

I'm actually trying to mount a V8000 in a DIN slot, but there's about a 1" gap on either side. Any suggestions on how to bridge the distance between the radio and either side of the DIN opening?

Thanks,
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: