Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stolem mobile gear and insurance  (Read 362 times)
WB6LNH

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2005, 01:37:30 PM »

This is Rick/WB6LNH On the 29th of June 2005 my pickup was broken into (broke window) and a Icom 706MKIIG and Icom V8000, mounts, speakers, and two antennas stolen...  When I contacted insurance company was told "sorry not factory or not a listed modification, not covered",  homeowners said it was in the truck and is part of the truck, so ZERO for TWO.
I had called prior to GEICO that the gear was in the truck and they only asked if it were bolted to the truck and i said "Yes" and they said on phone it was covered, when i put in claim they indicated that since i did not fill out a "modification to vehicle" sheet with specifics that they would not cover the loss.
This is a simple form that asks basic questions about what was done, had i known this i would have done it;
  and it would have been covered and only would have raised the premium by $11.00 per 6 month period.
Check your coverage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and make the needed changes
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 03:37:38 PM »

The $11 for the extra coverage is is VERY high. All I had to do is tell them I had radio gear in the car, and that was all there was to it. BTW, I had mentioned this in an article I wrote several months ago.

There is another part of the equation. What ever you install, you must do so permanently.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KC4UEB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 12:27:41 AM »

Of course the first rule of thumb is that ALL insurance companies are THIEVES. They will tell you whatever you want to hear on the phone but when the day comes to put your pen to the paper it's a completely different story. Whatever works to THEIR financial advantage is the only thing that matters.

M-O-N-E-Y is the #1 goal of all insurance companies. Even one's own LIFE comes second to money when dealing with these sorry establishments.

Insurance company's fall into the same category as that white sticky junk that forms at the corners of your mouth when you've been outside in the sun too long:

SCUM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 12:27:57 PM »

>RE: stolem mobile gear and insurance  Reply  
by K0BG on July 20, 2005  Mail this to a friend!  
The $11 for the extra coverage is is VERY high. All I had to do is tell them I had radio gear in the car, and that was all there was to it. BTW, I had mentioned this in an article I wrote several months ago.
There is another part of the equation. What ever you install, you must do so permanently.
Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com<

::I think there are a few factors at work here.  If you have a comprehensive auto insurance policy, read it carefully.  Most, such as my own policy, cover anything that's part of the vehicle, even aftermarket accessories including radio equipment, and no specific list of such items has to be provided to the insurance carrier.  Homeowner insurance, on the other hand, will often cover items that are simply "stored" in the vehicle for the purpose of transporting them from one place to another, and those need not be installed at all -- in fact, they shouldn't be, for if they are installed, then they're part of the vehicle.  A rig sitting in the trunk of the car is the same as a fur coat in the trunk of the car: It's just there because it was being transported, and is covered under homeowner's insurance.

::Of course, it helps a lot to have receipts to prove the purchase of such goods and establish their original and replacement value.

WB2WIK/6  
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 05:19:14 AM »

Sorry , but that is a hard lesson to learn , too bad
that many of us learn it the hard way. Many folks
assume that radio equipment attached to the vehicle
is covered but, Nope!. The insurance industry gets
smart and changes the rules to protect themselves
and this leaves the insuree out in the cold. But,
fear not, as stated you can add a rider to your
policy to protect your gear. I recommend that you