Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have any experience wuth PR-212DNMO  (Read 325 times)
OO1TRK

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2005, 07:55:45 AM »

Greetings..
  I was wondering if anyone has used this antenna put out by Comet/Maldol PR-212DNMO ..It has a very nice gain on it, and I just ordered it for the P/u truck.. I have had a habit of going through antenna's on my Big-Truck, like one every 3 months or so.. So I am putting my Diamond 7900 back on the big-truck and I am going to put this new antenna on the pick-up...
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 12:49:12 PM »

Why people play the gain game is beyond me. Read VERY CAREFULLY what the gain figures are. With a few exceptions, most antenna manufacturers, especially import ones, over state the gain figures of their antennas. One of them gives gain figures based on a stock HT antenna (read that as a rubber ducky). Puts new meaning into the term dBd doesn't it?

Further, their gain figures are theoretical figures, not real life. Adding insult, the coils are small (read that as lossy), and the antenna as a whole is not very sturdy.

Remember too, in an urban setting, gain is not the most important factor. In fact, some lower gain antennas will out perform higher gain ones due to the take off angle.

If you want one of the finest dual band antennas available anywhere, look at the Larsen NMO2/70. Properly installed, it will last a life time.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 08:30:53 PM »

Darn, Alan, you beat me to it! Smiley

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: