Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF in Semi trucks  (Read 838 times)
KK7UE

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2003, 10:53:39 PM »

Hi kids. It seems I will be embarking on my third career in last 20 years, driving long haul truck. Once I get my own truck, I want to run HF with screwdriver. Any of you out there have experience with this? I will use an Icom 706 IIg and a kj7u antenna. Im wondering what quirks you may have run into with this sort of arrangement. I wont be leaving for training till first week of August, so let me know what you have experienced please. Thank you and see you on the bands! 73, eric kk7ue
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 06:35:19 AM »

Tune to 7.258 mhz, MIDCARS, and you can get all the
assistance you could hope for. MIDCARS is where
all the OTR drivers hangout. They're a great
bunch of guys. Start trying about 7:30 AM Eastern
or 11:30 zulu, 7 days a week.
73 - Tim
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 09:30:43 AM »

There is also a bunch on 14.300± the QRM. This loose net operates 24/7 for the most part. Another group meets at 10:00 Mountain time on 14.255.

I regularly speak with 5 OTR drivers and only one of them uses a screwdriver antenna. The usual comment is they won't take the vibration. Most use monoband bug catcher types, or autotuners. There is a company in Atlanta, (sorry I don't know the name) who makes a very large (!) remote controlled matching system especially for truckers. It sells for about $1,000 and apparently holds up to the vibration very well.

Alan, KØBG

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 01:31:24 PM »

<< There is also a bunch on 14.300± the QRM. This loose net operates 24/7 for the most part. >>

Nope, the truckers net operates on 14.302.5. 14.300 is the Maritime Mobile Service Network. Two entirely different nets on tow different frequencies.

Lon
KR4JA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 02:13:26 PM »

I talked with an OTR driver a few weeks ago on 40M while I was on vacation (IC706/HiQ 3" coil) and he was using the original Don Johnson screwdriver....mounted in a horizontal position pointing out towards the front of the truck.  He had a great signal. He normally ran a HiQ screwdriver, but it got destroyed by a low tree limb, and he hasn't replaced it yet (maybe that's why he's mounted the antenna in the horizontal position or maybe the DK version couldn't handle the vibration in the verticle position?).

I talk with another driver quite often who uses the N9JMX "Predator" screwdriver, which seems to hold up well to road conditions.

Obviously, there are some screwdriver antennas which can take the vibration (the HiQ has an advantage in that the coil does not move, only the contactor moves up/down), you just need to find enough first hand reports.  I wouldn't rule out a screwdriver with either an automatic screwdriver controller from AmCom Inc. or mabye the new controller being made by LDG for the HiQ (and other) screwdriver antennas (the LDG controller is due out in August).

73 Dave
Norcross, GA
N9GQR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 01:18:30 PM »

I just upgraded to General and bought a new 706.  I've been looking at the screwdriver antennae that are available.  From what I have researched there are many drivers using the screwdriver antenna.  Here are the ones I've been researching:

http://kj9t.150m.com/n9jmxs_Predator

www.Tarheelantennas.com (Model 200)

www.bandhopper.com

www.qth.com/n7lyy

www.hiqantennas.com

Also, some suggest using the auto Amac controller www.amac-controller.com or the AMCOM Auto controller.

I'm still undecided.  I kind of like the GS-3 as it has a 3" coil...

Any other ideas on this subject?
N9GQR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 10:19:01 PM »

I made the purchase.  After seeing the Tarheel screwdriver, I purchased model 200A today.  I also am going with the Amac controller.  
www.amac-controllers.com
I've seen both of these in use and they work awesome.
Only problem, Tarheel is always shipping 2-3 weeks out.
Right now, I was told it would be 3 weeks.

PS. vibration is not a problem the way this is constructed.
K0LTD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 02:07:42 PM »

I own a 2000 Frtliner and run a HI-Q 4-80 ant. have had in on trk for over 6 mos. no problems so far. Very well built. Can send photos if want. Also run 500w amp with YAESU 857. If you want photos email me at kc0ltd@yahoo.com
KB7GJY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 02:55:17 PM »

Ok, back over the road I go. I'm in a '04 Volvo. Here is my problem.

I have a Tarheel Model 200, where do I mount it. I have a headache rack, but can't mount it easily there due to not being able to see the antenna when tunning. I have a diamond 7900 which I will do my best to mount centered above the windshield on the air dam. I also have another dual band radio (IC-2800H) which I plan to install. I can place both the VHF and the UHF antennas on the door upper mirror mounts for that. Hence why a VHF and a UHF and a dual band antenna. But I'm stuck with the HF antenna.

This is a company truck with just over 60k on it so like most, cant drill holes to mount, or I would be job hunting.

BTW, the volvo is a super condo, and all plastic. Further if anyone is running HF in their volvo, any problems I should look at to help avoid them. Can't check in to nets as my station is down to be placed in the truck.

Lastly, does anyone here know of a good wifi 802.11b/g antenna to be mounted outside for my puter in the truck?

Thanks for the read and the help.

73's

Allen Gemmrig -KB7GJY- the soon to be mobile porcupine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: