Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lo/Jack and Mobile Ham Radio  (Read 514 times)
WJ4S

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2005, 05:52:14 AM »

I recently purchased a car that has a Lo/Jack theft recovery system installed.  The Lo/Jack paperwork advises to have the Lo/Jack system checked out after installing any kind of two way radio equipment, or other electronic equipment in the vehicle.  They charge about $70 for a function check. I want to install my Icom dual bander rig into the vehicle, and operate mostly on 440mhz. My question is: does anyone here have any experience concerning Lo/Jack vs ham radio issues.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 06:01:30 AM »

Just that it's a 173.075 MHz transmitter.
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 07:27:25 AM »

The LoJack doesn't transmit until activated OTA by law enforcement or the monitoring company, so RFI won't be a problem in ordinary use.  I am not aware of any intermod issues between LoJack or other automated fleet management or vehicle location systems used in combination with either busniness LMR, ham or public safety radios.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 10:14:23 AM »

Unless the thief is operating your ham rig at the time you try to activate the LoJack you shouldn't have any RFI problems.
WJ4S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 07:19:37 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I was more concerned that the Lo/Jack unit might be sensitive to RFI.  I am a person who has replaced a NIC card, 2 cable modems, and 3 answering machines due to RFI (high power HF)
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 12:56:34 PM »

Something to consider is that while LoJack isn't cheap, the auto "electronics" industry has a reputation for working quick and dirty. You might want to test that LoJack every six months, or at least once a year, or at least ONCE to know that it works. Auto "alarm" installers often think bare wires twisted under electrical tape are good forever--but they're also often paid a flat $25 per install. Hopefully your LoJack installer was treated better by their employers.

And if you happen to be using your ham radio while that test happens, you'll kill two birds with one stone.

WJ4S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 07:37:44 PM »

Yep, I agree it would probably be a good idea to have the Lo/Jack checked out periodically.  It was installed by the dealership that sold me the car....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: