Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power cable routing in 98 Caravan  (Read 561 times)
AB0RE

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2003, 11:20:23 PM »

Hi.  I'm trying to figure out the best route to go with the power cable in my 98 Dodge Caravan.  Of all the vehicle's I've owned so far, this one seems to be the most difficult for power cable routing from the battery to the passenger compartment.

In reviewing past posts, I noticed one person said he went above the wheel wells, then through a grommet by the door.  The gromet I see down at the base of the door appears to go into the rocker panel and is of no use.

Another person said they poked an additional hole in the steering column grommet and route the wire through there.  If this grommet wasn't so close to the ground (elements) and if it wasn't the steering column grommet, I'd be much more willing to entertain the idea.

Surely there has to be a better way to route the power cable through the firewall of my 98 Caravan.  Any assistance is greatly apprciated.   Thanks!

Dan / ab0re
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 09:05:12 AM »

I'm with you! I'd like to see the auto companies purposely leave one clear grommet just for us amateurs. Or better yet, make the Police wiring RPO available to us non-cop types. But until that happens, you more or less have to make your own hole.

On my vehicle I finally resorted to drilling a hole in the upper left floorboard just above the dead peddle. And I made about 10 measurement checks just to make sure I wasn't about to drill through something vital. Safety is always the byword.

Alan, KØBG

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 09:21:28 AM »

The best tip I've seen for drilling firewall holes is to pick a potential spot to drill the hole, then make a dimple there with a punch.  Look at the other side where the dimple is and verify there's nothing in harm's way.  If you make a mistake and there's an obstruction, make a new dimple.  It adds to your confidence you're not going to nail a wire harness or brake line with the drill.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 09:58:15 PM »

hi,

I routed my cables along with the hood release cable,
it follows the same path past the battery to the
hood release latch.

73 james
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 10:15:57 PM »

Ya - I noticed the hood release cable going right past the battery.  My only concern was being able to find the end of the wire underneath the dash.  Might have to give it a try.  I'm concerned that my next post would be entitled "how to repair vehicle wiring harness" or "what to do when vehicle starts on fire" if I try to drill the hole myself.  :-)   73, Dan/ab0re
K0BX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 03:39:19 PM »

Hi Dan. I have the same problem here with my 2000 Plymouth Voyager.  I can't seem to find anyway through the firewall.  I was hoping that someone would give us the answer.

I have been looking at the hood release grommet.  But there is so much plastic covering the bottom of the dash that if I got the wire in there I would never get to the end.

If I figure out a way, I will post it here and let you know.  Good luck Dan

Joe K0BX
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 08:36:53 PM »

Just an update in case anybody else with a Caravan stumbles upon this post at a later date...

Tried going through the hood release cable grommet.  Did not work.  Seems like the the firewall may have been double-paneled - after punching a hole through the grommet I could not, for the life of me, get the wire to come out of the other side of the firewall.

Ended up going through another grommet that is a few inches "northwest" of the steering column grommet.  Then routed the wire up to the battery.  Looks very nice but I have a few concerns about weather entering through the small hole I placed in the grommet.

The antenna install was *very* easy.  Installed the antenna under the front dome lamp (NMO roof mount), then routed the coax to the front passenger side corner, down the A-pillar under the trim, then around to the radio which is on a hump mount.  Looks great.

Dan / ab0re
NH7XQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 09:23:39 PM »

Dan,

Way to go bro !!  

I've been pondering how to run the power cable to the battery in my wife's 98 Caravan for about three weeks now. I had just about given up when I read your post. I looked "NW" of the steering and boom - there it was (looks like it might be the speedometer cable). It was tricky pushing the stranded wire through the rubber - but finally made it through. Then I used a plastic coat hanger under the hood to lift it up where I could get a grip on it.

Her radio is only 35 watts but... better safe...

Thanks again
NH7XQ
Dan.
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 09:30:56 PM »

Dan,

Glad to hear you found the information useful.  Also neat is that you found it by searching eHam's forums instead of having to ask.

I hope the rest of the install goes great.

Dan / ab0re
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: