Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know about this radio?  (Read 331 times)
NZ7J

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2006, 10:43:08 AM »

AZDEN TWO METER FM MOBILE TRANSCIEVERS PCS-3000
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 07:09:28 PM »

Late 80' early 90's radio.. ok radio, but getting old. May not have PL.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 03:40:44 PM »

Yep, it's more than 10 years old and has just about no commercial value today; but if you have a working one, surely no harm in using it!

Azden is still in business, but not in the amateur radio business.  They stopped importing and selling ham gear years ago.  I think they still sell wireless mikes for stage/studio use and such.

The PCS3000 should have PL (CTCSS).

WB2WIK/6
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 01:51:28 PM »

Actually the PCS-3000 dates from before I was a ham and I was licensed in 1984.  I know because the PCS-4000, the model that replaced the PCS-3000, was one of the first radios I bought new.

Steve, WB2WIK/6, pretty much hit the nail on the head.  There is no PL (CTCSS) in the PCS-3000 and no allowance for one, but lots of hams added aftermarket ComSpec boards to those rigs.  The PCS-3000 is pretty large and there is room to add one really easily.  If you're lucky yours already has a PL board installed.  If it works there is certainly nothing wrong with using one.  Those old Azdens sound very good on the air.  Nice audio.

Oh, and Steve, FYI, Azden (Japan Piezo Co.) is still in the ham business in Japan.  Their U.S. distributor dropped out of the ham business but overseas you can still buy new Azdens.  Getting them serviced or converted to a U.S. bandplan is another matter.

Do you remember Santec?  They're still around too, though they now market under the name JIM (Japan Information Medium).  They also swallowed up KDK if memory serves.

Caity
K7VO/9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: