Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 7000 and DTMF?  (Read 1629 times)
VE3YAZ

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:25:53 PM »

Hey Folks, looking through my icom 7000 manual and it *looks* like in order to send DTMF I have to program what I want to send into a memory key and then select one of the four programmed dtmf memory keys to send...

Specifically, it looks like I cannot just randomly send dtmf from the mic keypad.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
 Rick...
VE3YAZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 07:39:58 PM »

www.icomamerica.com answered it for me... anyone have a used HM154T to sell or a schematic so i can build the dtmf component of it?

Knowledge Base Article 5C9C436466

Issue
Can I enter real-time DTMF tones from the stock microphone on my IC-7000?

Resolution
No, the stock microphone is a remote control microphone, not a DTMF microphone. It cannot be used for real-time DTMF tones. To enter real-time DTMF tones from a microphone, use the HM154T microphone (DTMF) instead.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 06:56:53 AM »

You are dead on!

The only way to send TTs with the stock HM151 is via the memories. You can replace the stock mic with a different Icom unit, and do it, but then you lose the other stuff. Personally, if I needed TTs for what ever reason, I'd replace the mic. Probably replace it anyway, as it is just to busy. I'm used to using the memories to select the bands, and modes, so the simpler the mic the better.

There are two other drawbacks you might not be aware of. First, the band data has been disabled. If you require it, you have to open the radio and solder a bridge. Why on earth Icom did this, I'll never know, as their current and legacy amps all require it.

Secondly, there is no audio out of the mic jack. Pin 3 is now a mic sense to tell the radio you are using the stock HM151, and not a TT mic for example.

They tried to make up for the lack of audio by moving the headphone jack to the right upper side of the radio. In the correct spot if you want the cable interfering with the VFO knob! It should have been located on the bottom, preferably next to the mic jack. Poor ergonomics if you ask me.

What I am most miffed at is the lack of a remote kit, and it appears now it will be late March to early April before they are available. This recent delay is the fourth or fifth time Icom has moved the availability date out. Makes you wonder what else they didn't do.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

VE3YAZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »

>There are two other drawbacks you might not be aware of.
>First, the band data has been disabled. If you require it, you
>have to open the radio and solder a bridge. Why on earth Icom
>did this, I'll never know, as their current and legacy amps
>all require it.

Sorry, bit of a newb here, "band data has been disabled"?

> Secondly, there is no audio out of the mic jack. Pin 3 is now
> a mic sense to tell the radio you are using the stock HM151,
> and not a TT mic for example.

This is minor for me, but I agree the ergonomics are questionable.

What I'd love to find is a schematic for a TT keypad that I can plug into the 2nd mic port on the back of the radio.  Then I can keep the stock mic and get the dtmf that I want Wink
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 04:24:23 PM »

I could take this off line if you had an e-mail listed. Mine is.

The mic jack pin out is in the manual. You can use the 8V output to power the TT pad. However, be very careful. Shorting the line out for even a fraction of a second ends up an expensive repair.

You could use the mic hot pin, as it has 8V on it too, but it has a series resistor which protects the source to some extent. You can duplicate the mic wiring as shown in the manual. Instead of a mic element, you can use the TT pad. You'll have to arrange some sort of pot to vary the output level.

The band data is a varying voltage between 0 and 8 volts depending on the band you are on. Voltage comparator circuitry uses this output, and a reference output to set the band of operation for a variety of devices. These include amplifier band switching and remote controlled antenna relays.

I don't have anything on the site about TT modifications, but the rest is there.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: