Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Separation cables  (Read 397 times)
WB8APD

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2006, 10:38:06 AM »

Short problem -- pun intended --  I bought a new Chevy Trail Blazer and discovered that where I desire to the radio brains is unreachable with the stock separation cables..  I have both a Kenwood TMD700 and a Yaseu FT8900..  Both nice radio's and want to reinstall both in the car.. but just can not make the connection..  Any one making cables for a reasonable fee or know if they be obtained..  IS there a limitation to length

Thanks
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 01:32:40 PM »

I've personally not used either of these radios, but I do know this. Lengthening them is not an option. In some cases, amateurs have used Cat 5 cables, but from the reports I have heard, not too successfully. The problems you run into are mostly RFI issues, with voltage drop being another.

If I were you, I'd look at putting them under the seat which may requires R&R the seat.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB8APD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 02:20:24 PM »

Hi Alan

We, as luck would have I got the Yaseu cable and done
The Kenwood is too short, I re-ran them and got the Yaesu is an done..  I was talking about the data cables, verus the mike cable...  But as I took the vehicle apart more, I do have room under the front for a radio and I guess all work out.. Now for some more decent weather to finish this   Winter in Cleveland ;-)

Dave
K9NYO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 08:16:15 AM »

My Yaesu FT-7100M uses 6-conductor telephone cable and modular connectors...the connectors are flip-flopped on each end--that's the trick.  I've had no problems whatsoever with this set-up, but I have a smaller car and not a long run from dash to trunk.  I've had good audio reports, no powerline noise and no RFI...just be careful where you run the separation cable and what it runs alongside.  The FT-7100M is a VHF/UHF rig...making your own separation cable for an HF rig might yield different results..."Your mileage may vary".  Good luck & 73.
WB8APD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 08:26:42 AM »

Well, I am going to declare this topic a non-topic ;-) and closed..  THANKS All for the input. I found a 1/2 acre of space under a seat and that wil house the Kenwood, unless, I jump to the Yaesu 7800 and that will fill the bill...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: