Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screwdriver mounting options  (Read 369 times)
KF4UAR

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2006, 10:30:27 PM »

OK, I think I'm going to end up with a Tarheel.  Now, I have to decide how I want to mount it.  I drive a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.  Currently, I do not have a hitch installed.  I'm looking for the best mounting options, so want your advice.

I am wondering if it would be possible to mount an antenna of that size in the middle of the trunk?  I was thinking of reinforcing the underside with sheet metal; would that provide enough support?  Or do I need to mount it in a way that it has another brace farther up the antenna?  

I'm not too keen on mounting it to the side of the vehicle; it just seems like it's even more of a temptation for passers by to play with than if it were in the middle.  Also, maybe a little more aesthetically pleasing in the middle (OK, I know, it's a monster of an antenna, but I can at least feel like it's a work of art!).  

So, what do you think?  Am I moving in the right direction?  Or is there a better way?  I haven't seen anybody do what I'm thinking - maybe there's a reason for it.  I'm just exercizing my God-given imagination a little!

Thanks for the advice.  

73 de KF4UAR, Jeremiah
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:25:42 AM »

It's a bad idea from several standpoints, not the least of which is getting in and out of the trunk.

The antenna should be mounted on the left side for several reasons even if it is trailer hitch mounted. By the way, a trailer hitch mount is not the most efficient place. I cover this subject in depth on my web site. There is a lot of information there, so try and not be overwhelmed by it all.

My personal antenna, a HiQ 580RTM, is body mounted, and it outweighs the Tarheel by at least twice! Where there is a will, there is a way.

The Antenna article is the place to start.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N1QKH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 07:14:16 AM »

The first thing I found out after installing an HF antenna in the center of a 95 Olds Ceirra trunk (using a trunk lip mount) was that, It was very hard to get a good ground and the tuning was rather erratic.

The second thing was that, the antenna blocked the rear view mirror, duh.

Third, I had made no provision to quickly remove the antenna for a visit to the car-wash or to park at the local airport.

I tried an "L" shaped bracket that stuck up through the crack around the trunk lip but, it was actually supported by the car body. This worked reasonably well (electrically) but lacked mechanical strength. There is no way this could support anything more than a ham-stick.

Now that I have given you some very bad options. You need to do some more planning before you start drilling holes.

73 Don N1QKH

KF4UAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »

OK, thank you for the replies.  I am beginning to see the light, and the resons for side mounting the antenna.  I've looked for the GE ballmount, and can't seem to find one.  Are there other options that will provide similar performance?  Also, Alan, what did you make your insulators with?  How did you weather seal the mount itself - I don't want water in the trunk every time it rains!

73 de KF4UAR/6
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 04:45:11 PM »

The insulator and the brace are both made from Delrin. It is easy to work with, and has a high dielectric constant. The only drawback is, the stuff is almost as slick as Teflon. To keep the ball from rotating, I pinned it in two locations with roll pins.

Delrin is a little pricey, but you don't need much of it thankfully. I originally purchased a 14 inch square by 1 inch thick chunk, which cost $78 plus shipping. I've made what you see on my web site, plus 3 other insulators including an 8 inch diameter one. I even made some standoffs out of what was left.

A simple search on Google will no doubt garner you a nearby retail location.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: