Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: comet CA-2x4SR  (Read 1291 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2006, 10:11:44 PM »

Has anybody use  comet CA-2x4SR antenna? any coments about it would be appreciated.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 06:16:55 AM »

I trust this doesn't sound too demeaning, but I don't like any of the Comet antennas, and for good reason.

If you read the fine print, you'll find out they rate their mobile antennas against a typical handheld radio antenna. Read that as a rubber ducky! If that wasn't enough, they are not very sturdy. While they do make models with NMO mounts (the PL259 types are junk), they won't fit on a Motorola NMO. Go figure!

The most popular dual band antenna out there is the Larsen NMO2/70B. Properly mounted, it will out perform any Comet antenna. And it's less money!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 02:30:35 PM »

Forget it!

See my response to your posting on the MARS forum. Alan and I are incomplete agreement.

FWIW, if the "amateur" antennas were any good, the land mobile and other commercial services would be using them. They don't. They use Larsen, and to a lesser extent Antennx. I have no experience with them but I have a lot of experience with the Larsens - none of it bad.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4GXI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 06:41:16 AM »

I've owned this antenna for a little over 2 years and use it as my big stick on road trips and use a smaller antenna on a daily basis so it will fit in the garage. That said, I've forgotten it was there on several occasions and have driven into the garage bending it 90 degrees. I just reshape the element and thus far have no real damage.
I like the stiffness because it will stay upright and not lay back when running on the highway. The fat element does make it rather wideband.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: