Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intermittent noise problem  (Read 488 times)
N5VSB

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2006, 06:15:08 AM »

I have some intermittent noise problems with my HF mobile rig.  I am sure that is coming from my truck, because it goes away when I shut it off.  It also goes away when I disconnect the antenna.  Some times it changes in pitch with the engine speed sometimes it does not.  It also tends to go away if I accelerate quickly.  Sometimes times there is not any noise, especially when I am pulling my Camper trailer.

I have not started trying to eliminate the noise.  I hope the rain will hold off and I can start this weekend.  I do have copper tape and split beads.  I you have any ideas on where to start, I would appreciate the info.  I have read Alan’s webpage and plan on using it for a guide.

The truck is a 2005 F150 Pickup with a V8.   The radio is a Yeasu 857d with 6 gauge wire running straight to the battery.

Jimmy
N5VSB
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 03:06:34 PM »

Sounds like the alternator. Need to make sure everything is properly grounded and look into liberal use of torroids.

Dan S
KO1D
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 03:24:27 PM »

Go to my web site, and look under Noise ID. See if it sounds like any of these.

From the way you describe it, it could be almost anything.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N5VSB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:19:11 AM »

I think it is one of everything.  There is definitely some ignition noise.  Maybe alternator and fuel pump.  I will just start at the beginning.  I was hoping someone would tell me to grease my muffler bearings:)  

Jimmy
N5VSB
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 03:26:10 PM »

What I would do is do all the 'normal' grounding and bonding procedures.  After you've done that, see what noise remains.  "Shotgunning" it is way easier and faster than surgically identifying and fixing the problem.  

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N5VSB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 06:31:12 AM »

The bonding has been complete for some time.  I wrapped the coils (COP) in copper foil over the weekend.  The reduced the noise a small amount, but did not eliminate it.  It is still s9.  It is mostly an ignition sounding noise.  Next I will put some beads on the fuel injectors.

Jimmy
N5VSB
W4JBB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 04:17:59 AM »

Jimmy,

I wish you luck.  I have a 2003 E350 work van that I tried everything (split beads, copper foil tape, grounding all doors, etc., ad infinitum) on except the fuel pump filter.  As it is not my van, I could not do that.  I finally gave up on HF mobile in that van as I could never get the noise below an S9.

Now, my 2004 Tundra is another story.  I mounted a Little Tarheel II to a Diamond K400 mount, followed the instructions w/ the mount on grounding it with the set screws and my noise went from an S8 to nothing!  The only split beads are on the controller cable to the antenna near the antenna mount.

Joel, W4JBB
N5VSB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 05:43:24 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement Joel.  I have used a sniffer and found that the entire wiring harness is radiating.  It looks like this is going to be a tough nut to crack.

Jimmy
N5VSB
AD5OS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 03:27:42 PM »

Aww I have a similar problem too... And it is either the Compressor or an electric motor for the cooling system or air conditioning... When I hear it I hear 2 seperate motors coming on right after each other seperated by like 2 seconds. I am still working on figuring it out.. might go out and see what I can make of it.... Can you record it?
N5VSB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 05:55:21 AM »

wish mine was motor related.  It is clearly ignition.  You can listen to Alan’s recording and get the same thing.  The sniffer shows it is being emitted by the wiring harness from the ignition module to the sparkplugs.  I have ferrite beads on all the COP wires and all the fuel injectors.  Wrapping the wiring harness in foil tape will be like wrapping a 30 foot centipede.   Does anyone know were I can get some aluminum split loom?

At least the fuel pump is relatively quite.  

Jimmy
N5VSB
KE4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 05:10:07 AM »

Wish my 2002 Tundra was as clean! The bonding is in place, now I'm securing the beads before tackling the taping.  Over the weekend, despite the noise which was SO grating on my nerves, I still worked several special event statiions with my Little Tarheel and FT-900.  If it took Alan, K0BG, a year to get his Acura noiseless, the lesson to us all is that persistence pays off.

Clark
N5VSB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 11:02:06 AM »

I am still working on the problem.  I have added more grounding straps to the engine.  I get a small amount of change.  The sniffer says that the engine is radiating, mainly at the plugs.  The wiring harness is radiating and the ignition module mounted in the firewall radiates.  The addition of more grounding straps does not seem to help.  I started at s9+ and am down to s8.  The noise blanker is working most of time, but it distorts stronger signals.  I will keep working on this until I fix it, or maybe buy a Honda.

Jimmy
N5VSB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: