Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise in my radio  (Read 489 times)
AB9DF

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:19:49 AM »

I have a 97 Chevy Astro Van.  I recently purchased a FT-897d and have recently installed a TM231a 2 mter rig.  I suppose my problem is rather common but I have what I would describe as a sound like eggs frying while the engine is running and I am active in listen to a repeater (while the repeater is active).  Little crackling sounds that when the engine is off totally doesnt exist.  I asked someone about this and they mentioned to me that it is most likely poping noise from the fuel injector and recommended ferrite chokes.  My question is as follows:  Has anyone had a similar experience with an Astro Van?  If ferrite chokes are the answer at least partially, what would you recommend?  i.e. mfg, where what type of ferrite? Where would you buy them? I havent bonded the vehicle yet but plan to do so soon.  The radio is well grounded to the vehicle.  Other than that, any other recommedations for that van?  Where do you install the chokes?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Rob AB9DF
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:06:33 PM »

Go to my web site, look under Noise ID. I suspect it is ignition noise, and not injector noise that you are hearing. And you might have some cooling fan hash as well.

I have not way of telling what state of tune your Astro van is in, but to be sure that old plug wires, and wore spark plugs add greatly to the RF that is put out. New, properly gapped plugs, and new factory wires should quite things down a lot. After-market wires are not always the answer, by the way.

You could shield the wires, and I have information on that too.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: