Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS 480SAT -versus- FT857D  (Read 3484 times)
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »

Oh, the 6m oscillation issues appear to be a strictly non-D thing...

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WK4D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 06:36:26 PM »

The TS-480 and Icom 706 are both in the $1000 range.

The FT857D can be had for around $750.

I bought the FT857D about 2 months ago, which came with the remote mounting kit at no additional cost. I initially used it on 2m and 70cm, where it seemed to perform well enough with my Larson 2/70 antenna. I recently found a High Sierra 1800 Pro on Ebay for $199, and ordered a hitch foldover mount and refurb kit for it from High Sierra. I disassembled and completely refurbished the antenna and mounted it on my Scion XA (after installing a hitch receiver) and enjoy using it on 80-40-20 meters. It seems to work well enough for me and I get good signal reports (SWR < 1.5:1 on all bands). The biggest thing was following Alan's advice and installing bonding straps between all separate vehicle components, and I still have more work to do on this front. I figure I have spent about $1200 total on the project.

If I have any complaint about the 857 it's that the buttons have no "feel" and I have to look at the head unit to find them, although I'll probably gain this skill with practice. Most of the small radios will send you into "menu hell" so the 857 is no different on that front. Overall I give the 857 a thumbs-up, and have no problem recommending it for mobile use.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 09:33:57 PM »

By the time I had the 2.3kHz SSB filter (a mistake, don't know what I was thinking...shoulda got the 1.Cool and the 300Hz CW filter in it (get it!) I was up to about $1k with the FT-857D.  W4RT ones would have been cheaper but still close to there.

Don't know what the necessary-options situation is for the other rigs... gotta have a CW filter for the 857 tho.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 04:08:54 PM »

I have a IC7000 and don't have any problems as were mentioned above. The Audio is pretty muchset it and forget it. I have found that I don't need to change mic gain from FM to SSB, this is all for another post though.

On to the TS480 -VS- the ft857.

#1 for me is I HATE yeasu's crappy little display -VS- a nice LARGE and easy to read one on the TS480
 #2 The Yeasu has 2 Meter and 70Cm if you want that in your rig.. where the TS480 is focused on HF and 6 meters.
 #3 The TS480 has a real beefy cooling system compared to the Yaesu.
 #4 I was told that the finals are pretty easy to blow on a FT857
 #5 The controls are much smaller on the Yaesu, I like something easy to get the fingers on and use.
 #6 Yaesu's Menus(enough said)

I think you know by now I would never buy the FT857,
 If I were in the price range and wanted a HF through UHF all moder.. I would get a 706. If you had the cash,  
 and want an upgrade to the 706.. I love the IC-7000 and all the features you get. Plus a much easier menu system for a rig in it's class(compared to Yeasu)

Between the 857 and the 480, I would go with a 480SAT or the big gun, the 480HX. You can always get a dual bader to listen to VHF/UHF as you drive. The TS-480 can be plugged into the D700's as well for DX cluster tune and other features.
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 08:51:47 PM »

You obviously have never smelt, felt or stood next to an FT 857.  If you have, you would know that the DSP on the 706 is a joke compared to the 857.  The receiver is much better than the 706.  

BTW, for what you paid for the 7000, I can have an 857 in BOTH cars. <grin>
KB3MMX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 07:01:50 AM »

You obviously have never smelt, felt or stood next to an FT 857. If you have, you would know that the DSP on the 706 is a joke compared to the 857. The receiver is much better than the 706.

BTW, for what you paid for the 7000, I can have an 857 in BOTH cars. <grin>
    [End Quote]

>>>>>No thanks, I'll definetely pass!!
   I would MUCH rather have the IC-7000 than two Yaesu radios I don't like anyway, especially trying to use the menus and the little screen mobile....No Thanks!!!  Smiley
AF1S

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 09:39:03 AM »

Here's a couple of more cents in the pot...

Over the last 10 years I've gone thru the following combo's.
1.FT-900/Hamsticks...which worked very well
2.FT-100D/ATAS-100...fell prey to the glossy ads. A complete waste of money.
3.IC-706/Hamsticks...which worked out okay but difficult as was the FT-100D to operate mobile.
4.TS-480HX/HiQ5-160, Hi Sierra Sidekick, ALS 500MR, with N2VZ's TT.

I'll let you do the math on the cost difference between #1 and #4. But you get what you pay for.

What I've found over the years is this: If it's not easy to use you probably won't use it. If it's not enjoyable to use, you won't use it. If it doesn't perform well, you won't use it. Spend a little more and have fun as opposed to spending a fair chunk of money and being disappointed.

The TS-480 is by far the easiest and safest radio I've had for mobile use. The large display, front panel access to commonly used functions, and backlit keys make this thing a keeper. I opted to go back to an HF (and 6m)only rig and a separate VHF/UHF dual rec. rig (Kenwood TM-708A). I can't stress the point enough; the radio needs to be easy to see and to use. I found that the previous mini rig set-ups sat on a local repeater freq most of the time. This happened because I was too lazy to change the hamstick out to an active band. That's not the radios fault...but that is what happens.

Each radio has it's pros and cons. Some do certain things better/worse than the competitor. You have to look at that list and see what best suits you. One thing is for sure tho...everybody needs a big display and easy access to mic/power/vfo-mem controls and the "little" radios are difficult to achieve that IMHO.

The other consideration is if you ever use these rigs at home on a big antenna. I can't comment on the IC-7000, but you can throw a cat through the front-end of an 857/706/100D when it's put on a full wave loop on 160m. I find that TS-480 does just fine in that environment.

My only other thought is this: Spend the time to bond/strap the daylights out of your vehicle. And mount the radio where your hand/fingers are going to naturally fall on the vfo. The front panel layout on the 480 lends itself to being very easy to use without looking at it. But if you have to look, it's easy to see. Leaning forward turning a vfo knob with an unsupported arm often equates to a turned off radio.

If I were to do this again being a little more fiscally conservative...next install would be the 480HX, Charlies 3" RT, Bill's TT, and a 150.00 vhf rig. If I didn't work 75 and 160m mobile the above would meet 100% of my needs and taken a lot less out of my wallet and would be a hell of a lot easier to mount and wire.

Good luck es 73.

Bill/AF1S
W2DB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 11:31:21 AM »

I have both, the 480 SAT and FT857D. I prefer the 857 because of size, and the added bands. It may keep me from installing the Syntor9000 for 440, we'll see. The first thing I did was run it up on 440 FM. Works fine. squelch breaks at .1uV from the IFR. 20 db not measured, but looks like .5 uV to my ear. Transmit was set to 20 watts and got a bit over 20, say maybe 21. On 440. 2 meter receive was about the same, and got 50 watts out, 6 was 100 watts and I didn't measure receive there on FM, though in SSB mode I heard under .1 uV on all bands. 40 Meters was also 100 watts and received very good.

The TS-480 is pretty much the same, just lacking 2 and 440. But the 480's big drawback to me is Kenwood's absolute miss on control head physical shape/size. The didn't provide a way to flush mount it. With the Yaesu YSK kit I can flush mount on the car's console. Both blew it on microphone connection method. And I'm not talking about the plastic RJ45 but the way you connect to it, not thru the head, but a separate cable. Workable, but just could have been done better.

Also, the KEnwood radio has room for a tuner, the Yaesu does not. That could be a problem for some. I just bought an ATAS antenna about an hour ago, so we'll see.

But aside from the physical size, tuner and head mounting, both will do you good. But my 857 was $679 at Austin Amateur with YSK. When you consider how much stuff is in that package for that price, it isn't bad. The 480 is considerably more money, but has the tuner. Add the FC30 tuner to the 857 and the package is about the same price as the 480.

GeorgeC W2DB/5
KK5ZD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 06:07:17 PM »

Just wanted to let you know that I have the 857d, enjoy it a lot. I overcame the weak receive audio with an amplified speaker from a local electronics store. It works great. Just food for thought. 73's
N9VO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 06:42:17 PM »

I had a FT857 and it worked great. vhf also worked well. Only complaint was small screen. Havent owned a 480 but buddy does have one. Operation is ok but I personally wouldnt own a radio that I can't attach the head to. What were they thinking. Guess it would be ok for mobile but you still have to run mike cable to radio. At least the 706 (got one of those also) allows you to connect the mike directly to the control head. Bottom line is if money is a factor, then the 857 is probably the best bargain and will work well. Me, I'd get a 706. Easiest to operate and you can say what you want but it is the standard that all others are compared to. There's a reason for that!
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »

My wife and I recently drove 4000 miles in her Mustang.  I took my 857 and Little Tarheel2.  I am very impressed with my old 857.  If you play around with the DSP a bit, including the bandwidth low-pass and High-Pass filters, you can really make this radio a great performer.  The receive audio is good, the reports for my audio were good, and getting up and down the bands is very easy with the push of a button.

One of the things I enjoy about this radio is it's apparent reliability.  It's really well put together, super small, and feature rich.  I run 100 watts into the antenna and have never had a problem with this radio in 3 or 4 years.  

Also, the 6, 2, and 440 bands are quite useful.  2 meters is good enough for most weak signal work.  I've not tried weak sig on 440, but it seems excellent from the local contacts i've made.  For the money, this radio cannot be beat.  

If the auto tuner on the 450S/AT  is as lousy as the one in the TS-2000, I'd pass and get the HX model with 200 watts.  I've "driven" one of these rigs, and they are quite nice.  

If you get the 857D and spend a week or 2 in the car with it - you'll be very happy.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: