Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '95 Tahoe speedometer moves on xmit  (Read 555 times)
N8NMA

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2005, 07:53:48 PM »

Have just installed an Icom 706 mkII G in the Tahoe and on 40 meters it makes the speedometer move to "0" or "100" mph during transmit. I thought I had all the grounds needed but may not. Any ideas Huh
Thanks

Tom N8NMA
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 04:12:08 AM »

Aside from the misunderstanding about grounds......

This is a typical RFI issue. The speedometer gets its information from a mag switch built in to the transmission. This information from it is used by several different systems (speed, distance, cruise control, et. al.). GM products are not any more or less effected by RFI than any other make.

I suggest you try a mix 31 bead on the connection closest to the sensor. Your dealer can tell you where it is located, or you can buy an electrical trouble shooting manual from Helms Inc. (probably a good idea for any amateur running mobile).

If you haven't done so already, a good dose of bonding will help, especially the tail and exhaust pipe ones. If you need more information, visit my web site under Bonding.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 07:31:36 PM »

hi,

now if you can get the odometer to run backwards !

Sorry,

Hope you get the problem fixed.

73 james
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 05:07:27 AM »

Where is the RF deck located and what antenna do you use?
N8NMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 06:51:09 PM »

Well the deck is mounted on the hump with the face in place...the antenna is currently a hamstick for 40 meters...I also have a screwdriver antenna but need new finger stock for it. The hamstick is located on a mount (homebrew) on the hitch and has a 3\4 inch strap to frame. Going to try a bead on the speed cable at the transmission.
NK6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 04:15:31 PM »

Are you running a screwdriver antenna?  If so, remove the motor control wires at the antenna and check for the problem again.  Also, is your antenna mounted next to the tail light?  How close?  Loads of RF present there and can couple to tail-lamps.  When RF is affecting components in the car, that RF may not be going where you want it to go - the E or F layers!

Good Luck and 73,

Russ - NK6R
N8NMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 07:16:10 PM »

OK well it's not just the speedometer...it also makes the AIR BAG light come on the dash...must be into all the electronics of the vehicle....??
N8UXF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 06:33:28 PM »

get a dodge

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: