Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi-Q Antenna_new custom heavy duty mount  (Read 10101 times)
N7EMW

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2006, 05:25:22 PM »

I designed and built a custom heavy duty mount to better support the Hi-Q 5/160 RT (and other models). I'm considering having other copies made and selling them if anyone is interested.

The new heavy duty mount bolts to a standard trailer hitch (or truck bumper, etc.) and supports the antenna using the factory 3/8 bolt at the base of the antenna in addition to a stainless steel “U” bolt approximately 8 inches from the base. With Charlie's factory GQD quick disconnect, the entire antenna can be installed/removed in about 20 seconds.

The purpose of this is to keep the large antenna more stable with less back and forth movement while driving at higher speeds and during heavy wind conditions, compared to using the GQD supported by the one factory bolt. Charlie’s factory mount and GQD are very heavy duty, and he makes great antennas, but I like the added confidence that the antenna is supported in two places by this new mount.

I have completed testing a prototype and am working with a shop to build the final version, potentially with powder coated paint (or made of stainless steel).

If you have an interest in the mount please let me know, and I would be pleased to email you photos or a short video on the quick removal feature. Price is not yet determined but might depend on how many copies I have made initially.

Dick, N7EMW
n7emw@cox.net

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 05:27:23 AM »

A picture is worth a thousand words they say, so forward one to me via e-mail.

I'm interested for several reasons. A few of them are, what did you use for insulation material? How did you minimize the stray capacitance between the antenna mast and the mount? Is there provisions for a matching coil?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com
k0bg@plateautel.net

VK6AV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 10:24:23 PM »

Would be interested in seeing photos.
vk6av@yahoo.com
Harris VE6DK VK6AV
K6OJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »

Whatever became of this thread? I'm very interested in learning the answer to Alan's question. I think the Rep Designs gear seems very well made and designed. It seems to fill a need I have. There are many things I can't gauge completely myself. Alan is a renowned expert in the field of mobile HF communications. If he vets the design, I know it's a must have.

Are either of you subscribed to this thread? Can you resume the discussion? I would like to build my mobile HF station as well as I can.

Thanks!
KF4UDL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:49:58 PM »

I would like to see some pictures,as I am getting ready to try to decide where to mount two antennas on a Toyota Tundra. Neither are the HI-Q, but this might meet my needs. Please reply at darmentrout@bellsouth.net.
Thanks and 73's
Doug KF4UDL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »

Go to my web site, and bring up the Photo Gallery.

http://www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: