Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sidekick v. HS-1800pro?  (Read 360 times)
K6HWH

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2007, 10:17:01 PM »

Has anyone done comparisons between the High Sierra Sidekick and the HS-1800?  I'm wondering how much radiation out I'm losing by going with the Sidekick on my sedan...
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 06:40:35 AM »

Size matters! All else being equal, cutting the length of an HF mobile antenna in half cuts its radiation resistance by a factor of four. When compared to the ground losses involved, radiation resistance becomes a very key factor with respect to efficiency. So does proper bonding and mounting. If you want the whole story, visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 02:48:59 PM »

If you limit yourself to 10 to 20 meters, and the occasional foray into 40m, you might get by with the Sidekick. Forget 80m with it; it's simply too small. Get the 1800 in the first place. You won't be sorry.

There are a couple of photos of my installation on Alan's web site. There are LOTS of installation photos on Alan's site. It's well worth the time looking at them before you do any installing, no matter which antenna you get.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K6HWH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 02:35:36 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  I've been checking out Alan's site, which does have a lot of useful information and good ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: