Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile CW  (Read 1391 times)
K7PEH

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:30:27 AM »

So, how many of you do mobile CW?

When I first heard of this I thought it was a crazy idea.  I mean, how can you drive and operate your key at the same time.

But, as a means of getting my CW speed back up to reasonable copy (20+ wpm) I have been almost entirely listening to CW on my IC-706 as I drive around in my truck.  And, one time it was an old friend I heard and I really wanted to reply but had no key and I was not about to operate a key while driving anyway.  But, I have been thinking of carrying a key in my truck and then I would pull over to the side or maybe stop somewhere to operate.

But, I think I would also miss my narrow CW filters I have on my Pro III.  I was thinking of getting a narrow CW filter for my 706 but then started thinking it was about time I upgraded to a IC-7000.

So, any CW users?  Do you stop or do you operate while driving?  Do you have any special setup to run CW (mount, special key, or anything of that ilk)?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:50:11 AM »

Actually, Phil, you could have used the microphone keys (up & down) to send CW to your friend.

I don't do it any more, but mobile CW is done by a lot of folks. I had a 250 Hz filter in my 706, but it was a bit narrow unless you set the VFO for tenths. The keyer I used had four memories, so I programmed the regular stuff like QTH, name, etc. into it. You can use the built in keyer, but it doesn't have auto character completion, which I'm very used to.

If you get into a high traffic area, it's time to quit!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:31:38 PM »

>>>The keyer I used had four memories, so I programmed the regular stuff like QTH, name, etc. into it.<<<

I am not sure I would like using memory for the regular stuff like QTH, name, etc.  I mean, after all, that regular stuff is about the only thing I can send without making mistakes. :-)

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »

Phil, you have JUST admitted to the fact you suffer from senior moments! But you are correct.

Most of the time, the folks you converse with will be so astounded that you are indeed mobile, they'll sign off quickly. I think the longest mobile CW contact I ever had was short of 5 minutes.

I have to add, that operating mobile CW is a real undertaking. I can only speak for myself, but when ever I have a driving problem, I tended to hang onto the key. Some folks just don't understand the forever dit dah dit dah ad noisome.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

PS: I have even operated SSTV mobile. In motion yet! Just ask W5ZR.

K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 03:57:29 PM »

"...you suffer from senior moments! "

Maybe, I am turning 60 this year but that milestone is still another 6 months away.  I have six months of clear thinking and then it is downhill.  Or, have I been downhill since turning 50.  I am not sure how this works.

Wow SSTV mobile!  Next you will be doing moon bounce.  I can do one better though.  My wife can take a video of me while driving using her cell phone and then she can send it to our kids and of course this is all wireless -- does that count?  :-)

Time to get back to the lower portion of the 20 meter band.  I have been making CW contacts this afternoon using my straight key.  I needed the computer break to soften my wrist up a little bit.

Later,
Phil
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 05:39:41 PM »

I run mobile cw all the time - have since 1989 or so.  It's very easy.  Just get a very heavy paddle or one of those setups that strap a paddle or straight key to your thigh.  

Once you get the hang of it - it's one of the most fun things you can do as a ham.  If you can get your wife/girlfriend/buddy to write callsigns down for you - you can easily contest in a car.

Enjoy
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 06:52:23 AM »

I enjoy mobile CW since it's a way to operate HF on a long trip without bugging the XYL.  I've done the up/down mic button method but it's very limited on a 706 (not iambic).  I use a Palm Mini Paddle mounted to the bracket that holds my 706's control head, such that it's right where it needs to be with my hand resting comfortably on the seat.  Much better suited for mobile operating than a 5 pound desktop paddle.  It retracts into it's metal housing, which minimizes the chance of damage by bumping into it when not in use.  I have a pilot's illuminated clipboard that straps to my leg with a stick-on LCD clock set for Zulu, and as I go I can jot down callsigns, names, etc.  Contests are even easier, just a call and report are all you need to copy.  My longest mobile CW QSO to date was nearly 3 hours on 40M, and a couple years ago I worked W1AW mobile CW, QRP to boot.  Just keep the exchanges short, and streamline your setup so that you don't distract yourself too much from the task of driving.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 01:19:44 PM »

I've worked mobile CW since the mid-80s.  I find it not only relaxing and enjoyable, but easier to use than "phone" because I don't get mike cords tangled up in stuff, and there's no worries about background noise.

CW also penetrates the mobile ambient noise levels better than "phone" does, unless whoever you're listening to has an excellent voice and great, punchy modulation.

I don't keep a log when operating mobile, so no worries about writing stuff down.  If I happen across some rare DX while operating mobile (hasn't happened lately!), I'll pull over, park, and find something to write on to log the contact.  But I think that last happened in about 2003...

My Bencher BY-2 paddle is affixed in the console between the two front seats and can't move around.  It's at a natural location where my right hand falls, anyway, so it's easy to use.

WB2WIK/6
VE3ENG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 02:30:23 PM »

I guess you can count me in, i'm just gearing up now.

Have the radio, (Knwd 480Sat still in the box) and antenna (bunch of hamsticks).

Just missing the coax, dc cord, lip mount and installation time... so close...but running out of $.

Plan to use a straight key mounted strapped to my leg like the good old days.

Probably i won't be moving when QSOing. Not that good in head copying.

....so close.

Cheers, 73
James, Ve3eng
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 10:33:31 AM »

James:  I wasn't any good at copying in my head when I started either.  However, every contact you make gives your mind the opportunity to raise it's comfort level.  After a year of running cw in a moving car, I was a legitimate contest quality operator.  Steve is right about copying cw mobile.  It's often much easier to copy cw in a noisy car than it is to copy an ssb signal.  That Kenwood you have in the box is a terrific rig too.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: