Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yaesu pigtail  (Read 376 times)
KG4ZIO

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:29:07 AM »

I am gettin gready to install a Yaesu 2800 in my 2005 Camry. The pigtail that Yaesu supplies is not long enough to do the job. CAn anyone tell me what gauge wire the Yaesu pigtail is?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 01:09:54 PM »

If it isn't long enough, and you need to make a longer one, it will have to be a size or two larger. I suggest you read my Wiring article on my web site.

The wire size by the way, is Japanese #10 which is roughly equivalent to our size 11 (if we had one). You'll need to go to #8 as a minimum depending on how long it will be. DON'T splice it! Remember, the voltage drop must be minimized for several reasons. They're explained in the above, and other articles on my site. Make sure you read VHF Options too.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W1WEC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 02:44:21 PM »

When I trunk installed my FT8800, I initially used 2 lengths of the Yaesu supplied wire (had an extra from the FT2800 in the truck).  When transmitting on high power the supply voltage dropped 1.9V! Go with #8 and use some of those car audio fuse holders, at the battery end, rated at 60A or better that let you attach the wire directly. Dont forget to use sealer on the ends of the wires under the hood to keep moisture out and reduce corrosion  ...ebay is a good source for the fuse holders if you dont have a place locally.

Because the #8 is so inflexible and I needed to be able to slide my radio in and out with power connected I installed a terminal block right behind the radio mount where the #8 terminates and about a foot of the Yaesu connects to the radio.

XY3LON4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »

When I got my Freightliner Century  I knew that I would be running both a CB and Ham radio so I ran two lengths of 8 ga. amplifier power cable (very fine strand) from the fuse box positive post which goes straight to the battery to my overhead radio bin. and two lengths of the same cable attached to the body. I have my CB hooked to one set and my 2800M hooked to the other set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: