Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving my rig to a Wrangler, have questions.  (Read 459 times)
K1RDD

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:36:24 AM »

I just ordered a new 4 door Wrangler, and need to move my rig from my F-150.

1. Is there an easy pass through the firewall from the battery to the passenger compartment for the power cable?
2. Does the panel below the radio come out easily, and would the radio mount well there?
3. I'm used to having a lot of sheet metal for a mag mount. Where if the best place for the antenna, rear corner panel (if so, how did you make the 90* turn), rear bumper, hood? What's the best routing for the coax?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 06:30:40 AM »

I have a lot of information on my web site, as well as a photo gallery of what others have done.

If I have any suggestions, they are: Dump the mag mount! Drill the necessary hole and do things right.

Whether or not there is a hole in the firewall makes no difference, as one can easily be added.

One consideration about using existing DIN slots is heat. Not so much because of a lack of ventilation, but in most vehicles the slot is right in front of the heater outlet.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE4NU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:42:42 AM »

I mounted my antenna on the spare tire carrier. Radio under seat with control head mounted above windshield.
It works well in this configuration. Mine is a 98 model has an unbelieveable amount of noise traced to airbag module. The interference drifted from HF thru vhf and made hf practically impossible. I could have possibly fixed the problem by replacing the modules but that was darn expensive. So I stayed with vhf/uhf.
My wrangler is a soft top so routing coax is really easy..Good luck, Alan
K8YSV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 07:18:52 AM »

I'm driving a 2004 TJ Wrangler, and haven't really had the opportunity to check out the new JKs. Generally speaking though, D-C doesn't usually change something that works so you may still have a rubber-plugged passthrough hole in your firewall. If it is there, it would likely be more visible from the engine compartment side as I've heard they've added sound-deadening material to the interior. My TJ has a 1-1/2" hole with nothing in it but a rubber plug.

As for antenna mounting, if you don't want to mount it to your hood, you'll really need to look into an aftermarket accessory antenna mounting solution. I've got a dual-band Comet mounted on a Teraflex bracket over my passenger tailligt, and an ATAS-120 mounted on the same style bracket over the driver's taillight. Both are working extremely well from my FT-857 and I've worked a fair amount of DX on the ATAS.

As for mounting the radio, you don't specify which radio you have, but if you have the option to remote-mount the head, I'd highly suggest doing that.

After everything's mounted, check for ignition noise. Granted, I've got the older I-6 engine but with the COP technology for ignition, it's basically a six-cylinder spark gap transmitter. I plan on spending several weekends this spring with some ground braid and copper foil tape. I dunno about the new JKs, but Jeeps in general are RF NOISY!

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: