Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: Opinions on Crossbanding  (Read 429 times)
N4FOZ

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2007, 06:39:57 PM »

Looking to set up a cross band repeater. Which rig do you think or have had experience with has the fastest crossover time from UHF to VHF?  How reliable is the rig for long term use?

Thanks,
N4FOZ  n4foz@bellsouth.net
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 07:22:07 PM »

Just make sure you know what you need to do to legally ID the repeater.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 05:55:51 AM »

There are tons of DIY information on the web about this very subject, the how-to needed be repeated here. However, as Gary alluded to, there is a lot more to it than meets the eye if you wish to "stay legal". For example, in some states, the frequency coordinating group requires you to register (obtain a frequency pair). In other words, look before you leap!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:55:16 AM »

I use an old Alinco DR-570....works very well as a cross-band repeater. They sell for $100 or less. I use the cross-band for special events and am always at the control point.

73, de Lindy
N4CDB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »

Fancy meeting you here. :-)

I have the Yaesu FT-8800 in my truck and crossband every week for the Skywarn and ARES nets. It's a great little radio for crossband. Still trying to work out simplex crossbanding to mitigate the IDing issue but haven't quite nailed it.
N4FOZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:53:45 AM »

Hello to all.  I should have been more specific. I am not really looking for opinions on legality.  I am doing research for our large existing repeater system in Florida.  We want to put another remote up on an existing tower to merely have another remote site. My question was related to anyone's opinion on fast crossover dual band radios.

My suggestion, personally, was to use two Motorola 300s.

Thanks for your help and input!
N4FOZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: