Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Screwdriver? High Sierra or Tarheel?  (Read 1604 times)
PARKER420

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2007, 08:16:50 AM »

I just purchased a IC-7000 for my new 2007 GMC Sierra, and I will be using the receiver hitch for mount. I am trying to decide between the High Sierra and the Tarheel........HELP! hi hi .... any comment will be greatly appreciated.

73's

Steve Parker
NZ4Z
KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 08:32:25 AM »

The reciever hitch is the worst place for a HF antenna.  It isolates the radiator from the ground plane.

Hi-Q: is probably the most efficient, but most un-asthetic.

High Sierra: The most asthetic and a little less effecient.

Tarheel: Most Versitle 1.8-30MHz antenna.  However it has a lower power rating (400W) which means a tighter wound coil (lower Q).

Any comments are welcomed and encouraged.  I own a High Sierra, but that does not prejudice me.  I got a deal on a High Sierra, and it seems to be working very well.

Chris KQ6UP
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:33:05 AM »

They are both good products, but I am partial to the High Sierra. I think the build quality is superior, they are slimmer and the mounts are much nicer, in my opinion.

As far as performance goes, neither one will really outperform the other in the same installation situation - and installation is ALMOST EVERYTHING in mobile HF antenna performance

I have an 1800 on my Windstar. You can see photos on www.k0bg.com.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
PARKER420

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:46:48 AM »

Thank you sir for your comment, re: mounting, what is the best way to mount for a pick-up? I have a bed cover on, and really don't want to drill on top of a new bumper.

Thanks

Steve Parker
NZ4Z
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:27:43 AM »

Well I do not have experience with hitch mounted antennas but I do with Tarheel and High Sierra products. I have a Tarheel Model 75 and a buddy has the High Sierra Sidewinder and yet another has the Tarheel Lil' Tarheel II. I am not really impressed with the HS product. It does not feel or seem very well built. The cover for the coil slides freely all over the place and the materials just don't feel right.

The Model 75 is about twice as large as the HS Sidewinder but feels much more solid. It does not have items sliding about freely and seems very rigged after being introduced to a few trees.

Performance wise all of them appear to work the same with the obvious issue of mounting, grounding and bonding being the wildcard.

Just my 2 cents but I'd go with the Tarheel.

p.s. I did NOT get a Hi-Q after drooling over them because I saw far too many complaints from people about how difficult it was to work with the product and company. Sad because I do understand they probably are the best around. If things get better I may still go that route someday.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »

Between the Tarheel and High Sierra there really isn't much difference in performance I agree. The little Tarheel II op. from 1.8Hhz - 50Hz with 4' stinger. I put the 6' stinger and have about a 2.1 swr in the FM portion of 6meter's, but low enough to work SSB 6meters which is what I care about the most. 6' stinger works better on H.F. too.

Astetics, I think the Tarheel is much nicer, but then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Unless your going with the larger Tarhell 400 then mounting on the bumper, or tow hich is not problem. In fact it is suggested due to the fact you need the most support possible. The Little Tarheel II 200watt, or the Tarheel stubby which is the same base length @ 12"in. but handle's 400watts are fantastic. You must install these models high for the coil section to clear the vehicle.

I operate the IC-7000, and Little Tarheel II on a Toyota Prius. I use the Diamond K-400 serie's mounts. There fantastic! Antenna is mounted on top left hand corner of hatch. Results! There's not a day I go without working U.S., and DX contact's. I've been able to work EU with 100watts on 40meters with 5-9 rst. On 80 meters guy's out west Cali. are surprised to hear me, and 20 meters I make my regular QSO's with EU stations.

Love my Tarheel!
Most of all my IC-7000.

Good mobile DX and 73!
N2RRA
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 10:45:58 AM »

I run a K4POZ screwdriver and love it. Better price too.

http://k4poz.com/

NA4IT
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 11:01:58 AM »

If you can get QSL.net to come up, look at www.qsl.net/na4it and click on HFMOBILE and you can see how my K4POZ screwdriver is mounted on the trailer hitch of my Mountaineer.

NA4IT
XY3LON4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 04:09:19 PM »

I was talking to a driver yesterday who had both a tarheel and a hi-q and he said that he liked the hi-q allot better because the tuning is all internal. at highway speeds that tuning element tends to wobble and throw it off.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 08:04:25 AM »

<< The cover for the coil slides freely all over the place and the materials just don't feel right. >>

Interesting. The coil cover on my HS-1800 does not do this. It simply goes up and down.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 02:18:53 PM »

Having played with a Tarheel before buying my HS, I much prefer the construction and styling of the HS. It is a much sleeker and less clunck-looking antenna system.

My real complaint, though, isn't with the product but with the company. Unless something has changed very recently, they compare their product to first-generation versions of other motorized antennas, not with current production.

Their antennas DO wotk well, though.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

K4KWH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 08:13:34 PM »

Take a look at this one as well.

www.qsl.net/k4kwh  Wink

KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 07:51:59 AM »

That looks like a quality product.  How long do you estimate the fingerstock to last?

Chris KQ6UP
K4KWH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 09:02:28 PM »

The Carolina Cyclone fingerstock is pretty beefy---1/4" wide fingers. That lets you safely run a KW SSB.
If the antenna is properly handled, you can expect about 6+years before replacing it.

KQ6UP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 09:25:10 PM »

If I get sick of my High Sierra, I will definitely be looking at your product.  I'm not looking forward to changing the spring contact every 6 months, but I can't complain I got the whole HS-1800/Pro for $230 brand new off of e-bay.

Chris KQ6UP
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: