Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New mobile releases  (Read 384 times)
JS6343

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2006, 08:50:29 AM »

Is anyone aware of any upcomming new releases of mobile models?  Or updates to existing models.  I am really struggling with what mobile to purchase and want to make sure I dont buy something only to see a new model release 2 months later.  I am trying to decide btw the FT8900, FT857, FT897 or IC7000.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:45:34 PM »

These radios are not in the same league. The 8900 doesn't cover HF, and the 857 uses an audio based DSP, where as the 7000 uses an IF based one.

There are rumors that Yaesu is coming out with a radio very mush like the 7000, but I suspect it will be a few more months.

I used a 7000 since March of this year, and have had no problems with it. Over the years, I've used about 20 different HF radios mobile, and the 7000 is heads above any of the previous ones. If I have a complaint, it is the low audio output wattage. A fact it shares with just about every other mobile radio too.

There are some operating drawbacks for some people, but they don't effect my type of operation. For example, you can't transmit touchtones live (they're stored in four memories, only). I have more about this on my web pages under Miniature Radios.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

JS6343

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:19:13 PM »

KOBG,

Thanks.  A few questions for you if you dont mind.  Do you know of anywhere where I can read up on a possible new Yaesu release?  Or is this just rumor for now.

I think I have a decent handle on some of the model differences.  I am just really struggling with how much I want to dive in.  Do I want to play AAA or go pro....

I have read quite a bit of your material (web site and email strings.  Very Helpful.  Thanks.)  But noticed your early critisims of the 7000 were a little sharper in the past. i.e. no video in.  poor screen resolution, etc.  Are you feeling differently now?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »

No. When the 7000 started to show up in homeland rags, the feature list was a lot different than when it hit these shores.

The resolution of the built in screen is good enough to display the radio's information, however, the OUT resolution from the rear panel video jack is very poor. Fact is, using any screen size much over 5 inches, and the display graphics look chunky. Even when you do the TV receive mod, the quality is 1/2 NTSC standards.

Like the 706, the metering stinks. So do the ones in most high end radios. You'd think the big three could make a good built-in wattmeter, but they don't.

The lack of true touchtone out is a shortcoming for those folks who use Mega-link a lot. And, there are only four memory slots for them. You can use a different mic, but then you lose the flexibility the stock HM-151 gives you. Incidentally, the TT mic Icom says you can use, has very poor audio quality.

Like the 706, there are still limitations on the power draw on the tuner port and/or the accessory socket only more so. And you can't use any plug in tuner devices meant for the 706. Doing so is a prescription for an expensive fix.

There is a lot of good points. The DSP is very good, and the noise blanker is somewhat better than most.

Although it can't hold a candle to a good base radio, the CW filtering is rather good, and certainly better than the 706 even with the narrow filter.

There are a few things you don't see in print. If you don't like the HM-151, and you want to restore audio to pin 3 on the mic jack, you can. You have to remove one solder jump, and add another. Doing the change allows you to use the Heil Traveler headset.

The band data on pin 5 (accessory socket) can also be restored by adding a solder jumper.

I would suspect a lot of the shortcoming will be addressed in the Pro, if there ever is one.

As for Yaesu, it is rumor only, although there has been some stuff show up in a couple of the Japanese homeland publications. Right now, the big news out of Japan is THP's new full-legal-limit, SS amplifier.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

JS6343

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 05:43:46 PM »

Thanks for all the good info.  A little more technical than my paygrade, but I can give it some study.

73's
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 06:11:43 PM »

Prior to the 7000 being released in the states, a few folks in Japan got their hands on one and posted photos and tests.  If yaesu has such a radio comming - it will most likely be released in Japan or Europe before the U.S gets it.  RIGPIX sometimes gets a scoop of new rigs and posts a photo.  As of now, i've seen nothing but speculation.

I own the 7000 and I can't see a new mobile rig being much - if any - better that it.  I also have a  yaesu 857 and frankly - it's a very good radio and mine has been indestructable and a joy to use.  It's a bargain for the money.
PMATTB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 02:44:01 PM »

Like the OP I'm looking at the IC7000, and FT857d (and maybe the Kenwoods too, but down the list a ways).  Particularly for those of you with both is there anythings other than the screen that make up the 600$ cost difference bt the two??

I'm a new ham, upgrading to general here asap, and after much reading have narrowed the list to the 857d/897d (less favorable given bigger size, batteries are a plus, still trying to learn about advantages for digital modes), the IC7000 (sweet looking, seems to get great reviews, maybe a bit above my price range, but trying to decide if that extra $$ is worth it), and maybe the Kenwood 480's HX/Sat...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: