Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorcycle mobile (Yaesu FTM-10R Bluetooth module)  (Read 1595 times)
WY3X

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2007, 09:20:12 AM »

Just thought I'd let everyone know, the promised availability of the bluetooth module for the Yaesu FTM-10R which was scheduled for the end of June, 2007, has not occurred. I just spoke with Yaesu on the phone, and they said "call back in another month".

-KR4WM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:37:12 AM »

I'm not surprised. After all, they have to have FCC certification, and that hasn't been completed. At least, it's not on the FCC web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 09:54:53 PM »

Sorry to hear about the delay, but I do look forward to a review on how well the combination works.  I ride and it certainly looks like a great implementation and has lots of good options as well.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 09:57:30 PM »

I never use my radio on the scooter. My HD Sportster is for my pleasure and if I need a radio fix I will put a HT in my pocket for when I take a break.  When rifding I find it pays to pay attention to what I', doing
K4GPS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:51:47 PM »

I agree, never any saddle bags on either my Sportster or Low Rider in 20 years, I sure as heck will not put a radio on a bike if I will not put bags on it! The 10R also is not water proof but the RS is, is the RS even available?

I may not use radio on the scoot (loud pipes anyway!) and just because you have bluetooth what makes people think that wind and engine noise would allow it's effective use anyway ? My Kubota tractor or my ATV is itching for something and a dual band with AM/FM and access to weather band would not just be nice but a great tool!

The wife is a ham and my son will probably be one also soon, with 30 acres communications are not only handy but a good safety tool in rugged terrain. I know the ATV does well on bluetooth even on full throttle but the tractor is a bit much. If I can listen to a radio station, weather alerts, or someone calling me on simplex I can always throttle down the tractor and talk if needed.

What I don't like is that they make it sound like the radio is ready for bluetooth in the ad's. Depending on the cost (I am sure it will not be cheap) I really doubt I would be willing to spend a lot of money on an accessory to accomplish one of the main selling features of the radio. It's like trying to sell a radio and making the finals optional. If you have a bluetooth headset you should just be able to marry the two and start using it. The other thing I am not too crazy about is the super low power, it's like a HT and not much else, wonder if the cost will reflect that? Sure my main use will be for simplex on the farm but it would be nice to be able to visit the repeaters 20-30 miles away.

The 10RS with 10R power and bluetooth built in and I'd probably buy one right now even though we still have not moved to the farm yet.
N0DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 03:09:55 PM »

These are showing up on a number of the vendor websites as "in stock."  I ordered one, but a couple of the items on my order were backordered, so won't ship til late this month.

My wife and I both ride.  She is a ham as well, and we use 2 meters or FRS for bike-to-bike which is very helpful in warning about road hazzards, etc.  I don't find this distracting at all....in fact, I feel less comfortable riding when we don't have communications.  Also, cell coverage in the mountains of NC/SC is very spotty at best.  Amateur radio could be a life saver in some situations.

I am anxious to hear about how others interface the FTM-10R(S) - through an existing comm system?  Using an aftermarket or existing headset?  

Tks & 73
N0DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: