Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna mount location flimsy  (Read 436 times)
KE7OEP

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2007, 12:51:39 PM »

I have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback.  I don't have a problem putting a hole in the roof or wherever else might be the best place for a VHF/UHF antenna.  Something along the lines of a Larsen NMO2/70.  The best mounting location appears to be a few inches foward of the rear edge of the roof.

Remember, this is an inexpensive Korean import.  When the roof is pressed down most anyplace along the center line there is a pretty serious deflection in the metal.  In other words, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of metal to support even a light weight antenna.  Am I missing something, or am I imaganing a problem where there isn't any?  I can't feel much in the way of reinforcement anyplace on the roof except along the edges.

What would be the degradation in performance if the antenna was mounted on the left rear fender cowl instead of the roof?  I live and operate in a mostly urban/suburban environment with a wealth of easily accessible repeaters.  Any other suggestions or ideas are welcome and thanks in advance.

Chuck
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 02:13:47 PM »

I installed an NMO2/70 for a friend who didn't want to drill holes in the trunk lid. I used an angle bracket, and attached it to the underside of the trunk lip, just to the right of the license plate. The three screws can not be seen with the plate in place.

Or, you can use the trunk lid, but it does open rather wide, and the whip will hit the top of the car. Incidentally, the difference between the roof and the trunk lid won't be noticeable in day to day driving.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:16:48 PM »

If you want the antenna on the roof with the NMO, you might consider adding a plate underneath the sheet metal to spread out the moment angle a bit.  

Drill both roof and plate, then use adhesive like epoxy between underside of roof and plate.  

Piece of 1/16" AL plate should do an adequate job.  

You may have to get it between roof support beams.  

Or go with trunkmount, inside door mount, you've got options.  

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 05:28:44 PM »

A second for KE3WDs method.  I also did this to a friends car.  A trip to the scrapyard got a piece of aluminum about 15" by 15".  I used metalweld glue between the plate and the roof and also made sure of the ground connection between the roof and the plate--it is important that this step be done.

One side advantage is that this install just about eliminates the sounds of the roof flexing in a heavy slipstream--or so my friend claimed.  He was happy with the result--and still is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: