Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Ham rigs to TX all Freq  (Read 348 times)
K5ZQ

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2007, 11:46:02 AM »

Has anyone modified their ham rig to operate on the marine frequencies? If so which is easiest to modify? Yes, i know it is not legal until there is an emergency, then it is OK.

Thansk Bill, K5ZQ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »

That may be true, but I wouldn't do it in any case. If you do a Google search, you'll find what you're looking for. If you have an Icom, you loose the band edge beeps, and a few other things. I can't speak for Yaesu.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:40:23 PM »

Better to get a marine radio and use it in the ham bands.  That is perfectly legal, and the right way to do it.

Unless my craft was sinking and I was going down with it, I wouldn't use the ham gear in marine service.

KI4TMM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:43:35 AM »

As stated previously it is illegal, but after several years of cruising I believe in redundency.  Are you looking to have emergency access to Marine HF or VHF or both.

In the case of Icom my Marine HF m700, died after 20 years of use,and 802 (current) are marine certified SSB that can tx on the ham bands.  The 700/710 have one power setting 150 watts. They work, but are not as user friendly and flexible as a dedicated ham radio.  

Many cruisers have the Yeasu 650 series which has HF and VHF which can be programmed for Marine HF & VHF, but is illegal to use except in an emergency. It is not very handy to use for those not familar with the radio, especially in an emergency.  Marine VHF's are pretty simple, turn to the channel and hit the button.

I would recommend having two radios or at the very least the marine cert radio. Otherwise a USCG inspection could be an expensive problem.

I am currently preparing to add an icom 7000 to Makai for ham use as the 802 works but it is a pain on some ham freq's.

Bil Thomas
KI4TMM /MM
www.sv-makai.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: