Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna vandalism  (Read 627 times)
N0XMZ

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »

This morning I had a rude awakening when I went out to my car. Someone had grabbed my 10m hamstick antenna and managed to twist it on the ball mount to the point where the end of the antenna was on the ground (under another car!). They left the Larsen 2/70 alone. Appearently they weren't so offended by that one.

And then, they even managed to leave a note under the windshield wiper! Here is the text, verbatim:

"WHAT R U THINKING? DO U think UR A 18 Wheeler? Dumb ass too BIG of a atena"

They actually wrote this on the back of a receipt for an oil change from a lube shop. They were careful to tear off the bottom part of the receipt that shows the name and/or make/model of the car. However, it would be pretty easy for the police to ask the shop who's car they worked on at 1:19pm on 8/11/07, sale #40087071744.

So I'm just wondering, should I even bother the police with this? I get the feeling that it won't be a big enough deal to them to do anything about it (if they even can). Anyone else have a similar experience? Did the police do anything for you?

I'm still steaming about this. I guess I'm going to have to take the antennas off every night now.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:30:18 PM »

Likely just a drunk.

Keep the receipt in case he repeats, though.  

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:58:47 PM »

It's vandelism and you have evidence relating to the possible perps. OF COURSE, file a police report.

I'm betting it's someone in your own neighborhood, too.

I muat admit that in over 40 years of having various kinds of (multiple) antennas on my vehicles, ranging from 1/4 wave VHF antennas for land mobile and public safety to my current High Sierra 1800 (and most things in between) I have never had an antenna messed with - from Dallas and Houston to Atlanta and Baltimore and many, many places in between.

Sorry for your problem.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 04:53:56 PM »

hi,

you should file a report, perhaps if they are not
too busy DPS can call the oil change location
and get some info on the person.

if you have a webcam, point it at your car
should they try it again.

73 james
N0XMZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »

Well I made a criminal mischief report. Unfortunately there's nothing they can do with the receipt since someone can just say they picked it up off the ground. I would have to witness the act myself or have someone else (like a neighbor) witness the person who did it. Not much I can do except go out and check on the car every waking hour. I'd put a webcam on it except my apartment does not face the parking lot.

I just hope the ******* doesn't mess with my car again. I'll be stowing the antennas in the trunk at night from now on. I think I'll also start looking for a more rural place to live where I can still get to work within an hour or so.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:40:57 AM »

Junkyard dog.  

Worked for me.

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 09:09:23 PM »

Probably one of us lefties did it ;-)

Seriously, though, probably just some drunk idiot walking through the parking lot.  The big antenna on the little car was just the most attention getting thing and they decided to break it.

People do stupid things in apartment complex parking lots.

Rural may be better but watch out for meth addicts stealing your HF ground system ;-)

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N0XMZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 08:14:47 AM »

"Probably one of us lefties did it ;-) "

That's what I figured! I better not put any "Fred '08" stickers on my bumper or I may end up with broken windows. Shocked)

Fortunately nothing was damaged except the threads in the ball mount however they weren't damaged to the point where it's unusable.

I just installed the antenna last weekend. I didn't have the proper sized socket to tighten the ball mount so I had used only pliers on the 3/4 inch nut. I went and bought a socket yesterday and tightened it up real nice.

I'm just going to take the antennas off every night from now on. It's a real pain but I don't want some idiot causing real damage next time. I went to a truck stop last night in search of a quick-disconnect to put between the spring and the ball but the only one they carried was 4 inches long so I forgot about that idea.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:17:20 AM »

Yes, probably just a drunk, or someone who had an encounter with a big rig on the road.  On the note of a quick disconnect, anything less than a 4" one may not be very strong.  I'd recommend getting it and readjusting the hamstick to compensate.

As to the police report, I'd also mention the antenna was an expensive HAM RADIO antenna, not a cheap CB one.  The cops may take a bit more notice--then again, maybe not.  The things in blue around here are more interested in their coffee and harassing people (homeowners) for minor infractions--like a ticket for littering for not cleaning grass clippings off the street after mowing your lawn.  Then they wonder why they don't get much respect......
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 01:42:38 PM »

Most people today don't know the slightest difference between CB and Ham Radio -- and could care.  

A lot of police officers are problematic to hams in a lot of ways, too, confiscating legal amateur HTs from licensed amateurs for no reason, etc.  

This has been covered by Amateur Radio publications, Newsline, etc.

Like the cop who took the teenaged amateur's dualband HT from him, keyed it on the Amateur Band and when he heard it coming from his own 450 meg HT because of close proximity RF swamping, confiscated the rig "because it was illegally transmitting on police bands!"  

Took the kid months to get his radio back.  

I've even encountered problems with LE types and SATERN volunteers who were wearing ID tags...

Mostly the young, though, which shouldn't happen because of their age anyway.  There was one incident in which I am certain it couldn't be the man's age, though, in this case it was skin color.  Fortunately he was mature enough not to try to "hold court in the street" and just backed off, we handled it from HQ.  

In these weird times we are the ones who have to keep our wits about us.  If the LE officer wants to play bad you-know-what, let him.  That's what lawyers are for, after the fact.  Play your cards straight, if ordered to do anything at the time, comply.  Later on you can get his badge in your own desk drawer for a month if he proves to be in the wrong.  

KE3WD
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »

I wouldnt bother with the cops. All youll get from them is BS and excuses why they cant do anything. Go to the lube shop and get his info from the receipt. Then hunt down his vehicle. Id bet that his tag number is also on the lube shops computer. This should make it very easy to find this moron. I would simply lay the broken antenna on the roof or hood of his vehicle and just leave it at that. This should send the proper message.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: