Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adapting Cell Phone Headset to Radio  (Read 437 times)
K2YO

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2007, 12:26:47 AM »

Has anyone seen any information about adapting a cellphone headset to work with a mobile rig? I drive a stick and operating with a headset would be much safer.

I've had real good sucess with these headsets;
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er22.aspx

and I'm using a FT-8900.

Anyone seen any interface circuitry that would adapt the two?

Obviously I'll need to fabricate a PTT switch. I'm thinking of some kind of short throw stich on the shifter stick. If I can get the audio irone out, the PTT should be easy.

I would think this might be a good product for someone to sell.

Bernie
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:56:22 AM »

Yaesu makes one radio with Bluetooth built in. I suspect others will follow shortly.

It is possible to adapt a BTA II from Cardo to work with just about any headset. The Motorola one works best, however. If you want a schematic, e-mail me. As it is, it will NOT work with an Icom (not enough drive). The last two Cardo units I bought cost me $10 each. They are no longer made.

Pacific Plantronics makes an adapter too, but it has to be adapted to a nominal 13.8 vdc supply, and doing so is a lot harder than a first impression would otherwise indicate. It is also VERY costly.

There is one made in Europe, and here is one reseller: (http://www.wsplc.com/). There is not currently a distributor in the US, but rumor has it that a deal has been signed, but I don't wish to share that at the moment. The problem with it is its cost. Delivered from the above British retailer to the US, brings the cost to almost $300 US. This DOES NOT include any adapter cable necessary, nor any headset. They too recommend the Motorola.

One of the reasons the Mot headset is recommended, is because it is noise canceling, and the mic itself is placed directly in front of the mouth where it should be for mobile work.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:12:04 AM »

Alan,

Thanks for the info on the blue tooth adaptors. I think for now I want to stick with wired. I've tried a number of bluetooth headsets and they just don't do a good job of noise canceling. I think the problem is trying to stay too small and not have a boom coming down towards the mouth.

You spoke about a Moto headset you liked for noise canceling. Do you have a model number for that one?

Thanks,
Bernie
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »

I went and looked, but couldn't find the thing on line. It looks like their H805, but it has a boom mic. Find a local dealer an ask them. It might be discontinued like the Cardo BTA II is.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »

Don't know if you are into the experimenting, but these surplus units are dirt cheap and thought I'd point them out:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/MIKE-86/390/ELECTRET_MIKE_AND_32_OHM_SPEAKER_ASSEMBLY_.html

KE3WD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: