Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the ICOM AH4 be made to tune outside ham band  (Read 481 times)
W5HSJ

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2007, 07:27:10 AM »

I sold my old Collins KWS-1, 75A4 and station console back in 1991 because I had no time for amateur radio. If something couldn't make money for me I got rid of it! But last year I got on again with a little IC706MKIIG/AH4 running mobile because I drive 50K miles a year. Really neat to while away the miles that way. However, most of the time I just listen and that includes international shortwave.

On keying the transmitter on the ham bands the AH4 tunes my 13 foot whip and it makes a world of difference on receive. So my question:

Has anyone come up with a way to make the AH4 "tune" the antenna for receive on frequencies outside the ham bands?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:03:34 AM »

The only way the AH-4 can possibly tune is to transmit a signal on the desired frequency - which is of course illegal outside of the ham bands.
W4WGA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 04:37:14 PM »

The AH4 is commonly used on the marine bands BUT as said, it tunes to the transmitted frequency and getting outside the ham bands is illegal.  

W5HSJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 06:52:46 PM »

Thanks Guys,

I couldn't come up with anything either.

Miss the old ANT TRIMMER on receivers! hehe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: